lap band vs RNY

valarie30
on 8/19/07 3:06 am - phoenix, AZ
what is your opinion and thoughts... 
M. clarke
on 8/19/07 5:48 am
There always seems to be a debate between which is better going on here at one time or another. So I will give my two cents. It depends on YOU. Dr. Blackstone over your medical history, your current health, how much you have to lose, your eating habits, all of that and more will play into what helps you make your decision. What is right for one person is not right for some one else. Your doctor will help you make the best decision for you. I know you are worried about it being based on money, but I really do believe Dr. Blackstone has the best interest of her patients in her heart.
quiltz
on 8/19/07 6:45 am - Phoenix, AZ
Be careful about replies saying Lap band or RNY or DS or whatever is the only way to go.  Each one of us is pretty certain ours is the best.  Research by reading....there is lots of good material out there.  Talk with your doctor about the choice and make the final decision with him or her.  Attend several seminars to hear different doctors and their theories.  It gives you an opportunity to see their personality in action.  This is someone you will have a long relationship with and hopefully it will be someone you are comfortable with both professionally and as a human being.  Look at the hospital they choose.  Research what a "Center of Excellence" hospital is.  More and more insurances are requiring you to have surgery in one.  I know I didn't give you an answer to your question, but hope I have given you someplace to start to find your answer.  Good luck!
Candi Y.
on 8/19/07 9:24 am - Cottonwood, AZ
Val - DO your own research, its VERY important for you to understand each one, their differences and which is best for you.  Read peoples profiles to see how things went and go to a few different seminars and then you'll decide which is right for you...... For me, I needed a PERMENANT solution to a lifelong problem and will have my adjustable band for the rest of my life to control my eating, but everyone is different, I didnt have health issue and require immediate fast weight loss, though I've lost -66lbs in 5 and half months and I"M THRILLED! GOOD LUCK and this website is a great begining......
ConnieS
on 8/20/07 1:07 pm - Northern, AZ
I agree with what others have said...you really need to do thorough research on all the various procedures, and then figure out what is best for you. I would never consider anything but the LapBand, but that is just me.  Lurk on both the LapBand and main/ RNY boards here and ask why folks there chose what they did.  That will help understand the differences, pluses, and minuses, of each procedure.  But do more than just hang out on the boards; read studies, attend a variety of seminars with different doctors, etc.
Most Active