FEAR?

valarie30
on 8/19/07 2:39 am - phoenix, AZ
OK,  I need help,  I have so  much fear, i am scared to death!  I am looking at having the Lap band with Dr. Blackstone, I am not scared of any cutting i am more fearful of medications, i have bad reactions...    dr. blackstone is doing more and more of the Lap band as to a year ago she was not,  why?  is it because there is more money in the lap band? or they are successful?  i have not met her yet but i bet she is a good dr.  most everyone likes her.....  urgh.. back to my fear.... how do i get past it? 
JRinAZ
on 8/19/07 4:32 am - Layton, UT
Hi there Valerie, I think your fears will subside after you meet with Dr. Blackstone.  I'm sure she'll hear your concern and address your medical reactions to medications by prsonalizing your journey to suit you!  I know that I always visit with the anesthesiologist prior to any surgery so I get the right ****tail and after meds for me.  I too have some bad reactions but haven't had any problems after I became pro-active with my docs! The LapBand is a great way to lsoe wieght....so is the bypass.  I'd suggest doing some googling to read the differnces betwen the two.  Those of us who have the very high BMI's may select the bypass because it also includes the malabsorption piece to aid in weight loss. My guess is that Dr. Blackstone is doing more Lapbands than she used to becaue insurances are fianally starting to cover it.  It's a newer option and so the U.S. is behind the world curve ball in getting aboard.  Just because it's newer though does not mean it's better or the right thing for you.  ...Both surgeries require a lifestyle change and both surgeries can give amazing results if the patient is compliant.  A lapband is kind of an "owie" type of surgery where a bypass is more like a major "oh my gosh"! Most people will tell you that their surgery is the best option so just take all of our opinions with a huge grain of salt! And......NOPE...lapbands are definitely not the higher paying surgeries.  So, Dr. Blackstone is probably just flowing with the changes to where people choose to have something that is minimally invasive. Good luck!  It's an amazing journey!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

ginau
on 8/19/07 9:07 am - mesa, AZ
Valarie  Listen to Joyce !! She has great advice and information !  I know about Fear ! It  has ruled my life,  The old saying  " you have nothing to fear but fear itself" is oh so true !!!        I am now getting better with it , One thing I can share with you is that Dr Blackstone will liten to you she will also review your history and make sure everything goes well ,   Its up to you and your Dr as to what type of procedure will be best for you ! so make sure to research it fully.  What kind of meds are you fearful about? Most people greatly reduce their medical needs after surgery,,   i was off all diabetes meds within a month and now only take tylenol .
Most Active