I'm getting the "phyx"!!!

JRinAZ
on 8/18/07 1:52 am - Layton, UT
I'll be getting my Rny pouch and stoma repaired the first week of November!  Wooooooo Hooooooo! If anyone is interested in the new Stomaphyx "non-surgical" procedure then there is a FREE semianr today at 2:30 (20950 N. Tatum, Suite 150, Phoenix).  It is  just for those who had gastric bypass, never achieved their desired weight loss AND/OR who have had regain AND/OR who have had diagnostic testing with indications of stretched pouch or open stoma. I'll be there!  Hope to see some of the rest of you!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

M. clarke
on 8/18/07 6:58 am
You must be very excited! I'm glad to know there is a help out there, aside from another major surgery in case this doesn't work out as well as I hope it is going to. I had my 9 month check up. Things are still progressing, but not as quickly as with someone who can exercise more. Randy just said because I can't exercise I need to be even more cautious on what I eat. I know as time goes by though it is only going to get harder! So it's nice to know about this surgery. Not that I intend to use it, but it's good to know if I do fail it is not the end of the world. And 135 pounds in 9 months I think is pretty darn good even if that is in the low end! Great luck with your surgery Joyce! You will hopefully keep us posted as to how it works for you!
shannonross
on 8/18/07 8:21 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Joyce, I couldnt make the meeting today because of the 2 little ones. Can you share with me what information you have on this? I have looked online and havent been able to find anything. Dr. Gitt also mentioned it to me last week. Thanks, Shannon
JRinAZ
on 8/18/07 10:45 am - Layton, UT
Hi Shannon! It was a great meeting!  There seem to be many people in the same boat as me......wishing they were a few pounds less but far from over with the honeymoon of the bypass. Basically, this is what I know....... It started in Europe.  Was approved by FDA in U.S. in April....first procedures were done in June by an Ohio surgeon.  He trained a doctor in NY and FL .  The boards went crazy with the immediate success and the hope of having a "second chance" that wasn't a major surgery.  There are now just 12 surgeons certified in the U.S. and we happen to be fortunate enough to have one of them here in Phoenix (Dr. Eric Schlesinger). It is done endoscopically (by mouth).  It is ONLY for gastric bypass post-ops.  ...Imagine little pinchers on the end of a pediatric scope that does a grab and fasten.  It makes a little row near the stoma to make the opening (where the food empties) very small.  A second row is made above that to pull in the pouch.  A type of pleating (placating) is done.  The results are that the pouch is reduced in size so we can't eat very much and the food stay in the pouch longer........FULL FASTER and FULL LONGER.  Since the stretching has already taken place, there should be little to zero future stretching.  The post-op must stay on liquids for 2 to 3 weeks so that the fasteners aren't pushed out and so the tissue can heal.  The fasteners work like staples or sutures in that they just hold the tissue in place until scarring or healing has taken place.  If the fasteners come out then they are not harmful to the body.  They are made of the same type of material that is used with the lapband. People who would want to consider it are those who did not ever reach their desired weight loss or those who have had regain. My case is that I have had some regain and I want to nip it before it becomes serious regain!  People who are still 75 to 100 pounds overweight may want to consider a full revision instead so they can have the malabsorption piece increased. I'm probably clear as mudd.  You can get some information off of the company's website: www.endogastricsolutions.com  also, Dr. Schlesinger has some info on his website:  www.azwls.com Let me know if I can answer any other questions.  The patients who have had it done nationally are doing very well.  The local patients are still too new to have much to report.  They say that they had some chest pain and a dry throat but that was about it!
Joyce 

shannonross
on 8/18/07 2:32 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the info Joyce.. I think I will check it out!
sgirl
on 8/19/07 1:48 am - tucson, AZ
Hello Joyce, I am 14 months post op and have lost only 75 lbs.  I have 25-35 more to go.  I have stabilized at this plateau for 7 months now.  I am getting discouraged.  Would I be a good candidate for this procedure?  And does insurance pay for this round too?   Thanks. sally
JRinAZ
on 8/19/07 2:28 am - Layton, UT
Hi Sally! Congrats to you on your weight loss!  You were a lightweight and lightweights don't always get the big 100 plus weight losses!  75 for a teeny gal is fantastic!!!!  I'm sure you're thinking that 25 mroe would of course be even better BUT you are still early in the game.  I lost the majority of my weight in the first 6 months and then it took another year to get to my goal weight.  My regret is that I focused too much on losing "just 10 more pounds" and didn't enjoy the journey.  I remember seriously feeling depressed because I didn't weigh 118!!!!!  What???!!!!  ......  I know that we can get obsessive with numbers and what others are doing around us, etc.  I think the difference between those of us who have reached a healthy weight from a successful weight loss and those who have been at that weight their entire lives (or so) is that we have the loose skin issues.  Our "neked" bods are not the playboy pinnups that we have visions of!!!!  ..........I remember purposesly watching a Beauty pageant to hear what they weighed.  It was enlightening to hear that many were similar to my weight at the time.  Difference?  I needed some reconstructive plastic surgery to get rid of the saggy skin.  I won't even bring up the age difference to consider!  LOL! I'm going this long way because I hope you'll give yourself the true honeymoon period (around 18 months) to give your tool a good chance to do it's thing.  Then, maybe consider some plastic surgery.  Dr. Gitt often trims off someone's last remaining pounsd when he does a body lift or an abdominoplasty. StomaphyX is really for those who have truly ended their honeymoon phase and still have weight issues because of a possibly failed WLS. How bout increasing your protein, increasing your water, increasing yoiur exercise?  Decreasing the carbs, decreasing the calories, decreasing cheese, decreasing salt..........AND definitely stay away from carbonated beverages and caffeine! But....after all is said and done....if you truly feel like your surgery has failed you right now.....and there are definitely failed surgeries , then go in for a free  consult with Dr. Schlesinger.  I'm sure he can guide you much better than me! Whew!  I am long winded!  :)
Joyce 

Arizona_Sun
on 8/21/07 1:10 am - Gilbert, AZ
Joyce - any idea if this will eventually be approved and covered by insurance for those of us who are still obese? 

Sandra B. View my journal and educational pages at www.acdlady.com/WLS_1 "Trust your own instinct.  Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s."  –Billy Wilder  "Know your labs and track your trends."  

JRinAZ
on 8/22/07 2:51 pm - Layton, UT
Hey there good friend! I missed your post yesterday somehow!  My bad! As for the Stomaphyx being covered by insurance..............NOPE....the procedure itself does not even have a code yet as it is so new.  They don't anticipate having anything in place until 2010. Dr. Overcash in Florida (one of the first to start the procedure) had some of the first cases approved.  None of those cases have paid out and all cases since have been denied.  They have gone to CASH only.  BUT, they are finding that many people who need a StomaphyX may actually qualify for a Revision (35 or higher BMI with a proven failed wls) and so he is combining a more malabsorptive surgery with the stomaphyx.  Insurance covers under that umbrella.  Dr. Schlesinger will follow suit except is charging much less as a cash price. The $8,000.00 is worth it to me if it keeps me from regaining any more and helps me lose what I've regained! ......That could mean  many more years of being "Diabetic free"!
Joyce 

Arizona_Sun
on 8/22/07 11:45 pm - Gilbert, AZ
Thanks Joyce - I will be most interested in following your progress as well as others.  I am not sure what I will end up having to do.  I am tired of the continual pound creep - both literally and figuratively.  I find myself with less energy (it has never been terrific to begin with) and that is not the direction that I wish to go.  So, I have not completely closed the door on surgical intervention, but I am obviously leery of it given the rough 3 years that I had post-RNY.  Since the idea is to improve quality of life it will be something that I will have to weigh carefully.  I suspect that I would have no problem qualifying for a revision since I am obese and assuming United Health Care approves the surgery at all. 

Sandra B. View my journal and educational pages at www.acdlady.com/WLS_1 "Trust your own instinct.  Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s."  –Billy Wilder  "Know your labs and track your trends."  

Most Active