Star Jones- Again

JRinAZ
on 8/18/07 1:44 am - Layton, UT
Melissa, You have brought up some very very excellent points.  Obesity is definitely a disease.  It is rarely treated with respect by the media.  In fact, it is rarely treated with respect by our peers, our loved ones, or our docs!  Many psych issues accompany the disease; that is why a psych eval is so very important and mandated by insurance companies.  I definitely support anyone who chooses to remain private with their decisions to obtain better health, whether it's Weigh****chers, pilates or weight loss surgery.  I don't condone anyone's behavior though that twists the public into some type of scam for their personal advancement.  Star authored a book on weight loss that had nothing to do with the honesty behind her own success.  Should we forgive her?  Sure, cuz we'd all like to be given the same forgiveness if needed. I remember that public outrage when a local woman milked her company for zillions of donations to help her with a lifesaving surgery.  The truth came out and she never had any illness at all.  A scam is a scam.  Unfortunately, many of us who have had surgery seem to pay for Star's sin of ommission because WE are put on trial by the media for those who choose to fabricate the truth.  ....  I am as guilty as STar.  I still tell people that I lost weight through exercise and healthy food choices.  This is truth BUT it is far from being the complete truth.    My choice has nothing to do with pushing a book though.  Mine is because I'm lazy and don't want to hold up the grocery line by telling all the surgery details!  :) I wish Star well.  Good for her for making lemonade out of it all!  Sugar free of course!!!!  Good for you for finding the positive side to every post!  You Rock!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

M. clarke
on 8/18/07 5:12 am
Thanks Joyce. You also! I can always count on you to see both sides of the situation also. I haven't read the book yet. I want to now though. From what I read on the review it sounds like it's not just a typical "diet" book, but about spiritual and emotional healing which I'm sure she had a lot of real experience. I can see why people would be upset if she said she lost the weight in her book by running 5 miles a day. I'm not sure if she does that as I haven't read the book. Of course I think most diet books are a joke as most of them are written by people who have never had to diet and have never been over weight.
Most Active