Did Anyone See News 12yr Old Gets Banded?

Candi Y.
on 8/13/07 12:50 am - Cottonwood, AZ
Just wondering if anyone saw the news report about the Mom who took her 12yr old to Mexico to be banded??  I missed it and heard it was VERY interesting and was wondering how I might be able to find it to check it out!  Thanks All!
jenncarson
on 8/13/07 12:24 pm - AZ
I am totally opposed to WLS  for a 12 year old whose body is not fully developed. WLS should be a medical option for adults and highly at risk older teens who have exhausted all other resources. This is really sick. Thanks for bringing this up! It is a important topic to discuss.-Jenn C in Chandler
JRinAZ
on 8/13/07 1:51 pm - Layton, UT
Jenn, I agree with you in theory....however, I have met some very unhealthy children who may be given a life changing opportunity to turn their obesity around before their entire life is ruined.  I believe that parents can and usually are to blame for chubby toddlers but that obese children can be taught to make healthy choices. in spite of family eating traditions I would think that any responsible surgeon would have many many medical and psychological recommendations before ever considering it.  I also believe that an adjustable lapband is the ONLY procedure that should even be considered.  It could be removed if needed and would allow pregnancy without issues for a young female. As I reflect on my painful " overweight puberty".....I so wish that my parents would have intervened in some way!   But then again....I am who I am because of where I've been and I mostly like me!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

ginau
on 8/13/07 5:06 pm - mesa, AZ

Ok  let me Chime in here, I agree with you all ! But the other side of me thinks 2 things .... 1 you can do just about anything in Mexico  & 2. I wonder how obese this child is  that the parent would be so desperate to have any surgical weight loss intervention done.  I tried to do a search on the net , but was unable to find anything..  I know most surgeons have a ge minimum of 18

Interesting ..... very interesting.  

M. clarke
on 8/15/07 6:57 am
Interesting topic. Going to  use your post to jump in Joyce. You made some great points!  :) I have to admit my initial reaction was "HUH??" but then again, to be completely honest it is my first reaction to many adults that have chosen to have the surgery.  There are many adults that I see having the surgery that I don't think need it.  That is my initial reaction. Then I step back and rethink it, and realize I don't know everything about there situation. It is human nature for us to judge what we don't understand. Not just with weight loss, but with anything we don't understand. If it is outside of our own experiences we discriminate and close our minds against it. I'm sure that Mother is doing what she believes is the best for her child. Trying to save her from being teased, ridiculed, continuing to gain weight. Who knows what her mothers experience is with obesity. Until we walk in her shoes, we can't make that call. I was fortunate enough to not get teased in school. However I did see girls and boys who did get teased. And it was an awful thing to see. The strange thing is that I remember them more then I remember the "popular" kids. I felt so sorry for them. The other kids would go out of their way to just torment them. It was awful. Awful to the point that I don't know how they kept up the courage to continue to come to school each day. When you think about it they are really miraculous children.  If I were a mother of a child like that there isn't anything in the world that I wouldn't do to help my child. That said. This nation is in a crisis situation. We need to unplug the tv, shut off the computers, shut off the nintendos, and games, put out some fresh fruit and veggies  and send our children out to play for a while! We are creating an entire generation of couch potatoes.
Candi Y.
on 8/14/07 1:47 am - Cottonwood, AZ

I was SHOCKED when I heard this too and thats why I was hoping someone might have seen the report, because before I made judgement I wanted to get the scoop, but I too could not find anything on the net about this. I would take into considerations MANY MANY factors before judging what this mom did, cause as a Mom I would DO ANYTHING for me children if I knew it would help them.  I wouldn't go to MExico, but it might have been the only choice she had considering laws in the USA....  Maybe someone will chime in that actually saw the news report....... Thanks all!

Stephanie W.
on 8/14/07 6:58 am - Peoria, AZ
I caught it in the middle on CNN or Headline News. The girl also had liposuction. Since I didn't see the whole thing, I'm unclear whether she had a tummy tuck also or was going to have a tummy tuck. Her mom said the fat from the lipo came back. The girl has definitely lost weight, but she has more to lose. The kids at school were teasing her real bad.

--Stephanie

At goal- I'm luvin' it!

Candi Y.
on 8/14/07 3:44 pm - Cottonwood, AZ
Steph - YOU ROCK!  Thank you so much, wi**** was a little more detailed, but VERY interesting!  Thanks again for looking for that!  MISS YOU tonight at Doc's support group!!!  Chat soon and THANKS again!
lemarie22
on 8/15/07 1:12 am - Glendale, AZ
This story was on Good Morning America this morning and there will probably be a clip on their website.  Not only did this girl have the lapband, but she had a tummy tuck and liposuction to lose 60 pounds before the lapband.  She had the lapband surgery after she gained the weight back. Connie
Most Active