Colon Rectal Issues Following Bypass

azmike320
on 8/12/07 3:23 am - Phoenix, AZ

I had my gastric bypass in January of 2006 and have since lost 284 pounds.  I thought that it would be clear sailing as the recovery and the first year post-op went so well.  In May of 2007 I ended up in the ER with a small bowel obstruction, which was basically treated as, "these things happen".  In July of 2007 I ended back in the ER with a rectal abscess that had to be surgically drained and being told that I may have a anal fistula that will ultimately need to be repaired once my open wound from the abscess heals.  I have had hemorrhoids on an ongoing basis, diarrhea almost since day one after my surgery, cramping in my abdomen, loss of control of my bowel movements and pain and spasms in my rectum.  All of the doctors I have seen basically tell me that it is all in my head and none of these things are related and it is just a coincidence that it has all occurred in a short period of time.  I feel like they are pushing me away and not addressing the issue.   Has anyone else had these types of issues?  Am I crazy and just making more out of this then I should be?  I feel like I am going nuts, because I feel that there is a bigger issue, but no one wants to listen to me.  To top it all off, the center in which I had my surgery packed up shop and closed down leaving me with no surgeon. 

Thanks for any input you can provide. 

ginau
on 8/12/07 10:10 am - mesa, AZ
Mike   Your surgeon is back in town, why dont you give him a a call and run it all by him, maybe he can shed some light on the problems,   Do the chain of events all have something to do with each other would my question, I know rny will not cure  everything in my life, I am still open to all the possible things that can happen,  Mybe a second opinion is in order?
JRinAZ
on 8/12/07 10:25 am - Layton, UT
Congratulations on your amazing weight loss!  Wow!   ....Soooo sorry to hear about your ongoing ordeal with the rectal issues!  I used to work for Dr. Terry Simpson and he saw many folks come in with obstructions.  I wouldn't say it's exacatly common for WLS post-ops but it is obviously a possibilitity that should be treated! Your surgeon is back in Phoenix.  You can get all of his contact information  by clicking on the little green banner at the left of this page or go to www.azwls.com Good luck!  Bowel obstructions are not something to take lightly!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Arizona_Sun
on 8/12/07 11:59 am - Gilbert, AZ
Since you have Dr. S listd as your surgeon, you can also find the current info on him by clicking on his name under where you would have your photo appear with your message. I have not heard of anyone else with your exact issues, but that does not mean that yours are not related indirectly to the surgery.  I had some things that happened to me as a post-op and while not directly related to my RNY I do attribute the changes that my body went through as a result to be behind what I had problems with - so indirectly the issues were related.  Each of us has a different physical response to the surgery so our journeys are quite unique.  I hope you can make contact with Dr. S and get some input from him.

Sandra B. View my journal and educational pages at www.acdlady.com/WLS_1 "Trust your own instinct.  Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s."  –Billy Wilder  "Know your labs and track your trends."  

Jason B.
on 8/20/07 1:50 am, edited 8/20/07 1:50 am - Hollis, NH
Hey I am jsut over a year out and I am having similar problems.  I have diarrhea every day, my stomch cramps up and locks up so bad i cant move almost daily lately, I had an absess as well, I have been through so many tests and they cant figure it out either.  I am going in for an MRI this wednesday I am hoping they can figure it out I am sick of being in pain.   Let em know if they figure yours out maybe they are related.... Well jsut wanted you to know your not alone... Jay
azmike320
on 8/20/07 2:08 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hey Jason -  I am still working with the doctors to figure this all out, but I am with you I am sick of pain.  I get such strong pains in my lower left abdomen that I can hardly stand it.  I take pain pills like they are going out of style.   Did you have to have your abscess drained in surgery?  I had an hour long surgery to drain it and remove a hemorrhoid and now I am three weeks post op and I am still packing this open wound with iodine soaked packing material...I am so tired of this whole thing I want to scream.   I will keep you posted and let you know what they all say...please do the same.   Good luck!   Michael
Most Active