PCOS/Insulin Resistance and Lap Band

M. Goldner
on 8/8/07 4:07 am
Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and new to PCOS/Insulin Resistance. I have been on Metformin for 2 months now and just found out last week that I have PCOS. For years I have had trouble (since childhood, actually) with my weight. It seems that in the last 7 years it has spiraled out of control. I tried for 3 years to get pregnant and finally did (my Daughter just turned 4 yesterday). When I was pregnant with her, I gained 90 lbs!!! Afterward, I lost about 60 and got pregnant with my son. During his pregnancy, I gained 85 lbs!! I have lost about 40 lbs in a year and a half. I need to lose about 100 lbs. to be within the "normal" range. I'm seriously considering the Lap Band. My consult is next week with the Dr. DeBarros in Tempe AZ.  I'm worried. I want to lead a normal life and be there for my kids but I don't want to die in my 30's! I also don't want to develop Hypertension, Diabetes and Heart Disease. Is there anyone out there that has some advice? I could really use some right about now.  Thanks so much! :-)
L. TP
on 8/8/07 5:05 am
Well I am insulin resistant and have not been diagnosed yet with PCOS but I have every single symtom and am working towards getting diagnosed.  You will do just fine.  Im going to Scottsdale Bariatric.  Have you considered the full gastric and not lap band?  Your doctor will be able to answer tons of questions for you so no worries.  I know tons and tons of patients have both PCOS and are insulin resistant, thats how many of us got where we are!
johnb_az
on 8/8/07 3:23 pm, edited 8/8/07 3:24 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I was insulin resistant taking shots of Byetta twice a day.  Dr. Blackstone urged me to have the gastric bypass.  I had originally chose the lap band.  She said I would have  better success with bypass vs. lap band to not need any regulation with my diabetes.  I am 6 months out and have not needed any type of insulin since 3 days post op.  Make sure you talk to your doctor about this as it was a important reason why I changed my type of surgery. Good luck
M. Goldner
on 8/9/07 12:37 am
Thanks, John. I appreciate the advice. I will definately talk to him about it. It definately seems to be working for you, you look great! It's unimaginable for me to think that I could be "normal" again in about a year.  Have a great day!  M
Kathy W.
on 8/11/07 2:13 am - Apache Junction, AZ
Good luck with Dr. DeBarros' office.  I went to their office a year ago and was working with them for over 6 months.  They kept changing their insurance person on me, they never followed up with me. They didn't make any of the apointments they said they would. I had to do all the footwork, they never returned my calls.  And on top of all of that they kept filing my insurance paperwork using the wrong information so it also turned into a billing issue. The whole process with them was a nightmare and I would not go back their if I was paying for it myself.
Most Active