1 month til lap band surgery & I would like to know....

Judy M.
on 8/5/07 11:25 am, edited 8/6/07 3:58 pm
For those of you that have had success with the lap band please share with me what to expect in terms of the amount of weight I may be able to lose per month. I plan on following the rules given my by the surgeon and exercising daily.  

The doctor set my goal weight at 150-160.  I am 5'6.5 and for most of my life I weighed 130-135.  I can't imagine settling for the higher weight. In my opinion I have 100 lbs to lose.  Is this possible to do in a year or less?

I sure hope so.  This carrying around a whole extra person on my meager frame is really old already.  :) 

I am really curious if there is moderate, limited or predominant successes with the lap band.  

If I could hear about the pitfalls and the regrets it would be beneficial to me too. Please let me know your experience.
David S.
on 8/5/07 11:48 am

I had RNY, so unfortunately can not give you personal experience with the band.  From what I've seen in previous postings, many people have different results.  Everyone loses, but some people lose quicker than others.  This is the case for RNY and the Band.  The band is supposed to be slower than RNY, but I've read some posts on OH by folks with the band who are losing as quickly as their RNY counterparts. I'm pretty sure you'll get responses from banders here, but you may want to also post it on the lap-band board.

How exciting for you as your day approaches.

--Dave

Dave from AZ     
Candi Y.
on 8/6/07 2:15 am - Cottonwood, AZ

Weight loss ratio........ emmmmmm, we are all VERY different, but we're all the same in "just wanting it off".  I am sorta a newbie I am 5mths out from my Band (3/14) and have lost -63lbs, but I know someone who had the band the same week as me and their only down -30lbs, so I think alot has to do with HOW MUCH you have to loose and the effort you make.  I have slacked on my excercising just because its so hot and I haven't had the money to join the gym yet, I am saving now, so my loss ratio has slowed and I average 1-2lbs a week, even at that I will loose 100lbs or darn close to it in a year, when I was excercising I was averages 2-3lbs a week, so I do have to get back on track with that.  I also know though that as we get closer to goal the weight is harder to get off.  The best way to think about, cause in the begining it can NEVER come off fast enough, is just try and be THANKFULL that all went well and that you are now LOOSING weight and NOT gaining and that you will forever have this TOOL to help you KEEP the weight off.  My whole life I have struggle with weight and it makes me feel so good to think once I get this #120lbs OFF I can use this tool to keep it off FOREVER!!!!!!  Thats the greatness of the BAND!  Good luck, you'll never regret your decision, but keep in mind there is a MENTAL battle you go through with missing food!  Stay in touch with this board, its always been a great help tp me!

ElleVixen
on 8/6/07 7:12 am - Mesa, AZ
I just got my lap band put in almost two weeks ago and I have lost 11 pounds so far.  I think it really depends on the person.  I was wondering the same thing because I wanted to see how much I was going to lose by the time I go on vacation at the end of the month! 
Judy M.
on 8/6/07 3:57 pm

That is really terrific for you.  I would be so relieved if I could lose more than 1/2 to 3/4 lb. a week, which is the rate I am releasing weight now.  It is so slow I get discouraged therefore this is why I am getting the band.  I am also enthused at the possibility of the band helping me keep the weight off for good.

Please keep me posted of your progress. I am not too far behind you as I am scheduled for the surgery in a month from today. 

soon2bnewme
on 8/8/07 3:29 am - Chandler, AZ
Good luck on your upcoming surgery you'll do great.  My one year bandiversary is next Tuesday and although my scale hasn't moved in two and a half months I lost 85 pounds since my surgery.  I think my body needed a little break but all that weightloss was from diet and hardly any exercise.  Now I'm kicking in the exercising big time and the scale is moving again.  I just want to get in onderland by next week and I only have a couple of pounds to go.   Good luck. Renee ps. I don't have foods I miss because unfortunately I can eat anything I want in smaller amounts.  I wish I was like some people who can't eat certain foods that might help me lose a little more these last few months.  

"Hold yourself responsible for a higher standard than anybody else expects of you, never excuse yourself." Henry Ward Beecher  
314/282/156.4/135 (Heaviest/Pre-Op/Current/GOAL) 
Total lost since Banded on August 14th, 2006 "-125.6" pounds  
Total lost since 8/05 "-157.6" pounds

Most Active