Pre-surg nutrition plan

karen_n_az
on 8/3/07 4:15 am, edited 8/3/07 4:16 am - Thatcher, AZ

I was wondering if anyone had a nutrition plan given to them before their surgery?  If you do and don’t mind would you share it with me?  I would also love to see what kind of vitamins and other supplements that are good choices that your doctors have recommended.     

I went to my local health food store and picked up a liquid vitamin supplement.  It’s called Source of Life and it’s ghastly!!! I cannot emphasize that enough!   2 Tablespoons of green gunk down the hatch!  I hold my nose and chase it with water and usually a raw strawberry.  I just recently threw the strawberry in today.  LOL it seemed to help.    

Is there anything better?  2 Tablespoons sure seems like a lot after surgery.  I could break it up I guess!    

Well anyways that’s why I’m coming to the pros for this.  Any plans and vitamins/supplements would be greatly appreciated so very much!

~~~The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.~~~

Desertflower
on 8/3/07 4:14 pm - Mesa, AZ
Hi Karen, My surgeon is Dr. Blackstone.  She has a very comprehensive pre-op and post - op education and follow up system. Before surgery we were given quite a bit of information about what to expect after surgery and what we would be allowed to eat.  We were also told that we should lose a minimum of 10% of the weight we wanted to lose AFTER the surgery...ex. 100 lbs = 10 lbs to lose. The post - op food program for the first week was clear broth, jello etc.  After the first week we were given soft proteins - like eggs, cheese, chicken, turkey, fish and cooked beans (not green).  At one month out I believe we get to add some fruits and veggies. We have 3 meals a day - no snacks.  Drink at least 64 oz of water.  Stop water 30minutes  before...eat for 20 minutes or until full - chew, chew, chew...wait 30 minutes to begin water again. Supplements:  Multi (chewable), B-complex (chewable), Calcium Citrate (chewable), Pepcid twice a day, B-12 once a week and extra protein supplements for the first month. 60 grams a day of protein should be the goal.  Walking for at least twenty minutes per day is essential. Hope this helps.  Your own surgeon should already have some type of program for you to follow and so I don't want to stp on any toes here. Good luck to you. Robin
justcuz
on 8/4/07 12:49 pm - Maricopa, AZ
I know I got mine when i went for the pre-op tests and meeting a few weeks prior to my original date. Dr Fang doesn't do the protien shakes and stuff pre-op but rather has a diet he has you follow. If you call the office I'm sure they can get this too you. But i'm sure if you wanted to do the protien shakes it wouldn't hurt either. Not sure if you have this pre-op date set up (hospital tests).  Hope this sorta helps.

------------
                     laughter is the key to life     

Most Active