Hernia Repair anybody?

Ginger
on 8/3/07 12:09 pm - Chandler, AZ
Hi Everybody, My PCP just confirmed that I have a ventral abdominal wall hernia and that I may want to get it repaired.  I haven't set up an appointment with a general surgeon yet because I was wondering if any of you guys have had a hernia repair (post wls)  Also if the surgeon I pick needs to be specialized because of my open procedure.  I have heard tale that a tummy tuck could be done for hanging skin at that point....would this be a general surgeon and a plastic surgeon?  I'm kinda freaked out, have lots of hanging skin, yet not at goal yet.  Any advise would be appreciated. Hugs, Ginger
JRinAZ
on 8/3/07 4:16 pm - Layton, UT
Hey there Ginger! I happen to work for an amazing Plastic Surgeon who is also a general surgeon who also takes most insurances!!!!  Sooooo.....what  that means to you ; is that you could possibly have a panniculectamy covered by insurance, your hernia would definitely be covered which means that any cosmetic extra you get would be amazling reduced!!!!  And.....it could all be done by one of the most experienced Post Bariatric surgeon's!!!  You can check out Dr. Gitt;s profile by clicking on "Find a Plastic Surgeon" at the top left of the O.H. site.  Put your curser over the state of AZ and then click on Steven Gitt.  There are oodles of reviews by his patients. .....and....since you're one of my bestest buds, you can definitely get the "Joyce" discount!!!! I haven't seen you in a long while!  I hope all is well (cept for that hernia that must be painful!) You can come in for a free consult by giving me a call at work:  480 991-6877 Give hubby and son a hug!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Ginger
on 8/5/07 11:55 am - Chandler, AZ
Joyce, Thank You Thank you so much for your informative reply!  I am soooo gun-shy from any type on surgery since my last..experience.   I knew I had heard somewhere that if a hernia is repaired anyway...then plastics could totally be done at the same time.  I will definately give you a call.  How long is a typical recovery time for a hernia/panni?  Also, I have skin issues with the hanging skin in that area...yet I have never had it doccumented.  Should I go to my pcp for a consult  and prescription to help prove  my "skin removal worthiness"?  Again you are such a sweetie for helping me out like this.  Hugs to your family too! Ginger
JRinAZ
on 8/5/07 1:00 pm - Layton, UT
Ginger, Definitely go to your pcp for documentation.  A paper trail gives great amunition towards insurance help! You  can meet Dr. Gitt at the end of August (if you don't make it in sooner).  He will be speaking at the Chandler Support Group and giving a power point presentation.  (4th Tuesday from 6 to 7:30)
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active