Constipation.....

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/07 12:16 am - Glendale, AZ
Does anyone have any advice to aleviate constipation??   I am drinking a ton of water.   I had surgery on 7/18 Thanks!
M. clarke
on 7/30/07 3:39 am
Senna-C works for me. Generic pharmacy brand. Whichever pharmacy. Walgreens. CVS. Dosen't matter. They all make a brand of it. It's a pill. And it's not super big or hard to swallow.
pwrightt
on 7/30/07 7:02 am - PHOENIX, AZ
I was the queen of constipation. It was so bad I almost landed in the hospital twice. I tried it all from benefiber, fiber one, every laxative on the market, stool softners, prunes, activa, suppositories, drank a ocean of water, and whatever else there was. If you are already constipated you need to get unplugged and THEN start a healthy regime. My miracle was Miralax which is now on the market. It will unconstipate you. When I started Miralax you could only get it by prescription. Luckly you do not need one now. Constipation is a huge culput after surgery. Now I am on a great routine and the constipation is a thing of the past. I eat fresh fruit, vegetables, and of course my protein. I drink water all day. As of TODAY I have lost 100 lbs. Right now you are on a restricted diet so I know its hard. Keep drinking your water. I wish you the best. I can remeber how bad I felt Pam
quiltz
on 7/30/07 10:12 am - Phoenix, AZ
Patti, Congratulations on hitting the 100 mark!  Hope to be there one day in the not too distant future myself.
cafelvis
on 7/30/07 12:10 pm - Peoria, AZ

I had lap band on 7/25/07 and they told me to try Senekot.

prayerpartner
on 8/5/07 2:39 pm - sierra vista, AZ
I was wondering what you thought about your Dr?  He is one of my choices, but not sure yet. Did you feel like you were in an assembly line of surgery?
Dana
redrum602
on 7/31/07 6:12 am - Chicago, IL
I just went to Hi-Health earlier today and the lady work there told me drinking lots of protein shakes will cause constipation. She said she usually adds a bit of flax seed powder to her shakes and it keeps her regular. I'm not sure if that is approved or not, so you would want to ask your surgeon. I am thinking about it though because I know Flax Seed is supposed to be really good for you!
KRISTIN S.
on 7/31/07 9:00 am - AZ
Laci LeBeau's Super Dieter's Tea.  It is all natural and you can buy it at HiHealth.  Good luck, I get clogged alot, one tea bag and I am doing fine ;-)

Commitment Day/Pre-op/CURRENT/Goal
248/236/170/150

karen_n_az
on 8/1/07 4:32 am - Thatcher, AZ
My pre-surg info pack!! Ya! I finally got it!!! said to take 1 Tablespoon of prune juice and 1 tablespoon of milk of magnesia.  It should do the trick hopefully.  Its the same thing we give the elderly patients at the nursing home during clinicals.  MMMMmmmm I can't wait to be tryin it myself.  I feel so bad handing it to my patients, but whatever works, works!  Keep hydrated! Karen

~~~The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.~~~

Judy M.
on 8/5/07 12:31 pm, edited 8/5/07 12:36 pm

I would be careful taking laxitives.  Senna products, super dieters teas and similar laxitives are all highly addictive.  take them long enough and your bowels will depend on them and you will be permanently dependant on them. 

Try yogurt containing L. Casei.  Cascada yogurt available at Sprouts or Whole foods or Wild Oats is terrific for getting the bowells active.  Epson salt is another good remedy that does not cause dependancy on laxitives.  Just  a small amount of epson salt dissolved in a small glass of water will get you going for sure.

I was cautioned by my phisician that eating less foods there is bound to be less waste so having a bowell movement every day is not necesarily indicated.  Nutritous easily digested foods get used up in the body leaving very little to extricate.  Don't worry gravity will take its course in due time.  Drink lots of water and try the L. Casei yogurt.

Most Active