True Confessions = Stomaphyx!

JRinAZ
on 7/27/07 2:27 am - Layton, UT
O.K., so a friend recently "found me out"!  LOL!  She shot me a private e-mail and suggested that I come clean on this HOME support site!  .......Sooooooooo, after giving it a few days of thought (deep breath)....here's the complete story! I'm NOT at goal!  (GASP!) Nope....I am almost 5 years post-op and I am several pounds over my goal. weight.  In fact, I was probably only at my goal weight for about 5 minutes (maybe 8 months?) and then I slowly put on some regain!  I"ve been fighting the battle for over 2 years now and finally went for some tests; only to find out that my pouch was a bit stretched (very typical) and my stoma was wide open (definitely NOT typical).  So, I"ve been investigating revision options for quite a while but not wanting to have a major surgery and not wanting to spend a zillion (Insurance denied the revision). Sooo....my friend caught me posting on the O.H. "Failed Weight Loss Surgery Forum"!!!!  Yikes!  I was totally busted!  .........It's not that I'm ashamed of a failed WLS it's just that I didn't want to bum everyone out on this site when they are all excited (as they should be) about their amazing future!...... Anyway....she caught me posting about the very very new procedure called: STOMAPHYX!  Dr. Eric Schlesinger is the only one certified to do this procedure in the state of AZ!!!!  You can check out his profile for details about the "non-surgical" procedure.  .....But, anyway, I am going to have this done! The deal is that I am taking control of my life.  I am NOT going to allow weight to rule again...EVER!  I am having some maintenance done on something that was initially wonderful but just needs some fixing!  The LapBanders can cotninue to get their adjustments as needed.  Perhaps this is a much needed FANTASTIC option for the bypass patients to get adjusted! My thought on coming clean with all of you is that if you know someone who has had regain OR YOU have had regain OR you worry about having some after your Honeymoon.........then know there is an answer!  ......  I try and share info whenever I come across it and so my friend is absolutely right.....This new info should be shared as well. Shame on me for thinking my support peeps would think of me as a failure!!!! We are very lucky to have this as an option in AZ.  There are just a handful of surgeon's who have been trained! I'Ve been doing oodles of homework so if you have any questions then PM me and I'll send you details.
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/07 12:57 pm - Phoenix, AZ
  Joyce, I am sure your friend is VERY VERY proud of you for sharing this post!    Sounds like your friend is someone who was concerned about you - she didnt think she was 'busting' you...wink, wink    You have helped so many silent lurkers out here who may be experiencing the same thing, but were too afraid to speak up about it!   take care deb
JRinAZ
on 7/28/07 11:29 am - Layton, UT
Deb! You crack me up!  Thanks for yet another sweet post!................I would put cute smiley things all over this post but for some reason my home p.c. will not let me play with the smiley selection.  Anyone have any idea how I can fix it??? It comes up as "undefined"....... Hugggzzz your direction!  .........and hugggzz to my anonymous "friend" too!  :)
ginau
on 7/27/07 1:42 pm - mesa, AZ

Joyce

I am going to say it ,.. I dont know if you realize it or not -- But your my Idol , My inspiration, I have learned so much from you !  You have a way of keeping us in reality ,  I listen to your words of wisdom,

I do know people who have gained back their weight so much thta you would never believe they had surgery.  I am watching hte new procedure very closely - because I  suspect that someday - I too may want to do it , Grant it I am only a year out , but my  loss as slowed  and it does cause me more concern than I show .  

I am so thankful that Dr Schlessinger is cerified to do the new surgical procedure and I will be watching your progress - with inspiration for the future .

JRinAZ
on 7/28/07 11:44 am - Layton, UT
O.K. Miss Jeanna!  Stop that "idol' junk right now!!!!!  The selection out there is huge:  Mother Theresa,  Princess Di, Oprah, Ann Keller, Barbara Bush, Lindsay Lohen  (ooooops!!! My BAd!)........the point is that my name is not on the list and I refuse to be someone' s idol!  LOL!  I will however be your dear friend!!!!  I too have learned from you!  That's what the support exchange is all about sweetie pie! And as for your "stall" with losing......just remember to check the inches every now and then....stay with the high protein, high water and high exercise and you'll  reach your target!......just cuz I had some regain does NOT mean that anyone else will follow! You are doing fantastic!!!  You don't even resemble the same girlfriend I first met; though "she" was lovely as well! Saturday huggggzzz your way! Joyce
caylee
on 7/29/07 1:29 am - Peoria, AZ
Hi Joyce, I sent another email but wasn't sure if it went through. I had my RNY done by Dr Fang in Nov 2003. I lost 148 lbs in about 13 months but now have gained back about 35! I was feeling very guilty and ashamed that I let this happen. I read the azwls messages all the time in the beginning but then as time went on I didn't follow up with them anymore. Last week I read about this new procedure that you wrote about. I was so excited. Now I find you here. I think that you opening up about the road you are on only reinforces that I am not alone. Thank you!! I tried to log on to the website you mentioned but as of last week it wasn't up yet. I tried the number you had listed but it was a fax number. I am trying to find a number to call to set up an appointment for a consultation. Can you give me the number? I'm sure my insurance will not cover the procedure but I need to get in to find out all about it. Please help me. Did you have your surgery at St Lukes? Thanks. Carol
JRinAZ
on 7/29/07 2:06 am - Layton, UT
LOL! Carol!  I am notorious for printing the wrong phone numbers!  I apologize!  .....  I don't have the phone number actually with me but I do know that Dr. Schlesinger's website is up and running now.  I didn't see the Stomaphyx seminar schedule there yet but if you pull up his seminar schedule then just know that the Stomaphyx seminars will be 1 hour after the weight loss seminars.  His contact information is on the website. I'm gong to be attending his first FREE Stomaphyx seminar on Monday the 6th of August at 6:30.  ....  I'm so glad that you are going to be proactive and not let the regain take control!  ...Isn't it funny that we face similar embarrassment and "justification needs" with tackling 20 to 40 excess pounds as we did with 1 to 200 excess pounds! I don't think insurance will be covering anything.  THey generally have the same requirements for a revison (35 plus bmi) as for the original weight loss surgery.  I suspect that most Stomaphyx recipients will be less than 75 pounds overweight and gastric bypass folks.  For some, it may be like the person who gets a lapband and then never gets a fill.  The tool has just stopped helping.  The banders can go in and get an adjustment "fill" but the bypass patient doesn't have any recourse other than a revision.  This is a very wonderful NON SURGICAL way to get our tool sharpened up and useful again! You can give me a call at my work tomorrow if you need more info.  I'd be happy to help you out! Joyce ....work #  480-991-6877 www.nvpsaz.com Dr. Eric Schlesinger does the Stomaphyx.  His website is www.azwls.com  Or you can just click on his little green banner at the bottom left of this message board!
Deanne K.
on 7/29/07 11:30 am - Tucson, AZ
Joyce, Thanks for the information.  As I had talked to you before, I am in the same boat.  I never got to goal.  I am now up about 15 lbs.  They want me to lose the 15 lbs in order to do the revision of a lap band over top.  This might be a great option to check out. Thanks for your hang in there. Deanne
JRinAZ
on 7/30/07 1:18 pm - Layton, UT
15 pounds?  Why would that make a difference as to whether a lapband would work for you or not?  I can see having to lose 15 pounds if you had over 100 pounds to lose but my thought is that if you could lose 15 pounds then you wouldn't need a revision???/ There's a FREE STomaphyx seminar this coming Monday the 6th at 6:30. You can give me a call at work and I can give details if you'd like.  I'll be there !!!  I'm hoping my hubby doesn't mind if I spend our cruise money for my "phyx"!  LOL! You hang in there too sweetie pie!  Joyce 480 991-6877 W
Deanne K.
on 7/30/07 2:41 pm - Tucson, AZ
Joyce, They want me to get my portions in control.  They have no idea how hard it is when you are never full!!      My real opinion is that they are stalling.  Now I am starting a new job and won't want to be off work in order to have this done right away. I just don't think they really want to do a revision, it would mean that someone failed them.  I had talked to Dr. Simpson at the OH conference here in Tucson in January.  He said this happens to over 20% of RNY patients.  I was told I was only the 2nd person by Dr. Blackstone.  Dr. Simpson told me that he sees alot of her patients for this problem. I live in Tucson but come up on Thursday to go to SBC.  Not thinking anything will be done or said at this point.  It's been put off for almost a year. I would love to talk to you at work, but my boss is soo ugly about me even talking on the phone that is not business.  Glad that I will be out of there in 2 weeks.  My sanity is worth far more than her grief.  It's bad when your PCP tells you to leave your job.  He will be happy to hear that I found another one on Tuesday when I see him.  It doesn't help with the emotional eating and needing to lose weight, when you are so stressed and all you want to do is sleep and eat. I would love to hear about what you learn after the seminar.  I would love to come up but right now it is not possible.  This will probably be the last trip up for about 3 months, which would be my 3 year anniversary. Deanne
Most Active