HELP!

planetrusso
on 7/24/07 7:06 am - mesa, AZ
Alright this goes out to all the "Band pros" out there.  How do you know if your fill is too much? I was filled last Tue. and since Friday I have not been able to hold down any solid food.  I can drink liquids fine, but I just tried to eat some cottage cheese and threw it up too.  I have been not feeling good for two days now.  Can I please get some advice????  This is only my second fill and I am not sure how much it was (for those of you that know Dr Simpson) .  Should I be calling the Dr or is it too soon to push the panic button???? Thank you Kerin

Kerin

soon2bnewme
on 7/24/07 12:34 pm - Chandler, AZ

Kerin, Certain foods might just be irritating to you.  I don't eat cottage cheese because it's one of those that just feels weird going down since I was banded and scrambled eggs do the same thing.   I would try some softer mushy foods for one day and if you can't even tollerate that then maybe you should call him.  I can't believe you would be that tight right off the bat it took me many fills to feel satiety as he calls it.  Infact I was just there tonight getting another tweak.  I gained 2.5 pounds since my last fill and he just said to hop up that I needed a tweak.  I've never pd or vomited (once but that was because I ate something way too early in the morning and didn't chew)  but that wasn't vomiting.  You should let your stomach settle and then give him a call.  I know he's going on vacation or seminars soon so you don't want to miss seeing him while he's still in town. I hope your feeling better soon.   Renee'

"Hold yourself responsible for a higher standard than anybody else expects of you, never excuse yourself." Henry Ward Beecher  
314/282/156.4/135 (Heaviest/Pre-Op/Current/GOAL) 
Total lost since Banded on August 14th, 2006 "-125.6" pounds  
Total lost since 8/05 "-157.6" pounds

planetrusso
on 7/24/07 12:39 pm - mesa, AZ
Thanks Renee!  I suppose I could live on liquids for awhile, but I am worried about the vomiting, I know that it can't be good for the band.  I am losing a ton of weight, but I would like to eat something.  Cottage cheese has always been good to me, that is why I was worried.  I am going to try to stay with soft/liquids and see if I feel better.  Thanks for the reasurance!

Kerin

jenniebr
on 7/24/07 5:12 pm - queen creek, AZ

Kerin,  IMO, if you are 1 week out from a fill and not able to eat solid foods, something is not right.  Cottage cheese should be tolorated at this point. I do not think its healthy to continue with "not feeling good".  I do not think  docs understand the full extent of an overfill, they will tell you to wait a few days and see, you have waited long enough, call the doc.  The band is designed to work with food so if you are unable to eat, it is not working properly.  My doc is pretty aggresive with fills,  I have had to have a slight unfill before.   Do you have the new band?  Most patients with the new one are not needing the same level of fill as us older bandsters.  My doc has the new band and is about 2 months out and has not needed a fill yet. I would also write down how much is put in each time.  Its a good idea to keep track, you should have be given a card to track it.   Remember we are all different in our needs and what works for us but the band  works the same for all, with food. If it is not working with food, its not working.    Good luck and let us know what happens. Jen

planetrusso
on 7/25/07 2:31 am - mesa, AZ
Thanks Jen, I am a new bander 5/9/07.  This is the second fill and I wanted to be agressive but not to the point of throwing up everything I eat.  I can drink just fine, and I do not have reflux at night which seems to be the sign of an overfill.  I did not ask how much was going into the band, from what I know Doc does not want us caught up in the "number" so I don't know how much is in my band!  I can live on liquids, I just don't want to do any damage by throwing up!  I will give the office a call, thanks!

Kerin

soon2bnewme
on 7/25/07 3:17 am - Chandler, AZ
Kerin~ How are you feeling this morning?  I hope that your able to eat foods.  I've never been in your situation so I can't help you much but I do think Simpson is easy on the fills and not agressive so I think you might just have some swelling but I agree you should call the office to make sure.  I went last night and got another fill and I think this one is going to be a good one that lasts ofr a while.  I never really feel it at first but this time I think I can.  I haven't had solids yet so it's hard to tell how that will be but I've always been able to eat food and never pb or slime.  Let me know how your doing I was thinking about you all night last night you must feel yucky. Renee'

"Hold yourself responsible for a higher standard than anybody else expects of you, never excuse yourself." Henry Ward Beecher  

planetrusso
on 7/25/07 4:42 am - mesa, AZ

Renee, Thank you that is so sweet!  I have not tried anything today but a protein drink and a cup of coffee.  I am feeling better, but I have not tried to eat, I am afraid to try.  Hope your fill goes well too I will keep updating, thanks for the advice!

Kerin

(deactivated member)
on 7/25/07 7:03 am - AZ
Hi Kerin,
I'm one of Dr. Simpson's patients. I've never had a fill but I think by now you should be back to normal eating just smaller portions. If you are still vomiting or having a hard time drinking you need to call him.
Also keep in mind you can email him to he usually responds right away. If you leave a phone number in the email he will call you...
He's in surgery today so email him or call Carol.
planetrusso
on 7/26/07 12:58 am - mesa, AZ
Renee and all, I just wanted to Thank you all for the support.  What a difference a day makes.  I am feeling much better and had a really good day yesterday, was able to hold down some food and did not get sick from it.  I think that I was panicing  and it was not helping things at all.  I don't feel the knot in my chest so this is a good thing!  Thanks again!  It is great to have these boards to come to for help.

Kerin

soon2bnewme
on 7/26/07 1:18 am - Chandler, AZ
Great news Kerin!!! This fill I got a couple of days ago I can say I definitely feel way more satisfaction when I eat.  It's such an awesome feeling and I know the pounds are going to start coming off again.  My year anniversary is coming up so quickly and I wanted to be about 20 pounds lighter but if I just get to onderland then I'm happy.  What a difference a year can bring.  I'm not setting my sights on my birthday which is at the end of September.  I turn 39 and then I'm on my final countdown to turning 40.  Actually I've always told myself that 40 is going to be a great year because my children will be older.  My oldest will graduate high school that year and my youngest will be older .  I'm looking forward to a hot body and in better shape then I've been in years.  What goals does everyone else have???  Short term or longer term?  I think it's important to set goals. must run and chase daycare kiddies.  have a great morning and glad your able to eat and now you can be a loser like me..... Renee'

Most Active