Back Home From Hospital Update

Desertflower
on 7/23/07 4:20 pm - Mesa, AZ
The hospital released me late Saturday afternoon and I have been doing just fine.  My surgery went well.  Dr. Blackstone told my Hubby that my gall bladder was in terrible shape when they removed it. (Who knew???) I had a very painful left shoulder until the drains were removed.  Getting sick of broth & jello.  Tomorrow is my 1 week post-op and they will give me my soft proteins diet - yippee! I am drinking lots, peeing lots, and walking more. The surgery went as I expected, probably because Dr. Blackstone and her staff are so thorough and because I read everything I can. I cannot say enough great things about the nursing staff at Scottsdale Healthcare.  They went out of their way to make me feel safe and secure and comfortable.  I also had the best massage of my lower legs and feet. Randy came in the day of discharge and answered any questions I had and was so gentle when he removed the tubes.  I met the newest Dr. on the staff and she is very friendly and helpful. Thank you all for your support and encouragement.  I am so glad to be on the "other side" of this now.  Looking forward to sharing my successes and questions with you all.  I turn the page and a new chapter begins. Robin
flyrep
on 7/23/07 7:40 pm - AZ
Ans what a wonderful chapter it will be! Im so very happy that everything went good for you. We will keep u in our prayers! HERE'S TO THE LOSERS SIDE!

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
Hard Core Constitutionalist
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

dfavre
on 7/24/07 7:24 am - Maricopa, AZ
Welcome aboard the loser's side!!!  You are on your way to an whole new future ahead!!!  Congrats!
deenie4
on 7/24/07 12:10 pm
Congrats Robin. I'm glad that things went so well for you. I know that you were a bit nervous before the surgery. I'm almost 5 weeks post-op and still struggle with getting in 64 oz of water!  There just isn't enough room any more. Keep me posted on how you are doing. Dena
Desertflower
on 7/25/07 4:21 pm - Mesa, AZ
Dena, How long after you were discharged did it take for your incision pain to subside?  I came home on Saturday and my left side still hurts a lot...Is it to soon to be concerned?  Am I expecting too much to soon???  Thanks, Robin
M. clarke
on 7/26/07 9:46 am
Robin, I remember reading in the pre-surgery papers that you can have pain in the staple line for a year or more. It is rare, but can happen. I am 9 months out and still get some soreness there when I turn certain ways. And I still have a hard time sleeping on my right side because of the way it stretches my left side and makes it sore. It was pretty painful for me for the first 2 to 3 weeks. After that it was just uncomfortable. Everyone is different, but I don't think you should be too concerned yet. As long as the incisions don't look infected I think the pain is probably pretty normal. I remember them telling me that that incision on the left would be the sorest one. I know I read here a lot that people don't feel pain so it seems to us that do that something is wrong. I felt that way after my surgery that I was a wimp or something was wrong because what I had read here was that it was so easy for everyone. Not me. I had a lot of pain! And it sucked! LOL. Take it easy on your self! Take Care, Melissa
Desertflower
on 7/26/07 11:19 am - Mesa, AZ
Thanks for writing back Melissa. I talked with Randy today and he told me basically what you said.  Which made me feel a whole lot better.  He said I may have a slight muscle strain on the left side as well and to use a heating pad a couple times a day as well as the hot shower. Its good to know that its nothing to worry about. Question...do you feel hungry?  I think my "leftover" stomach is still looking for a cookie or something?  I gurgle and growl and have this really empty feeling.  Will it pass? Robin
M. clarke
on 7/27/07 6:23 am
Robin, I lived with a heating pad on for the first few weeks! It really helped me. As far as hungry I didn't get get truly hungry until probably month 3 or 4 if I remember correctly. I also had a stricture the first 4 months and was pretty sick so didn't feel much like eating. Now I get hungry, and my tummy does growl for real.
deenie4
on 7/26/07 2:19 pm
Hi Robin, I had pain for almost four weeks after I was discharged. I didn't have staples or stiches, just surgical adhesives. I also had a throbbing pain in my back for about two weeks and called the surgeon back in Michigan. He said that it was nothing to be concerned with that sometimes, the nerve from the front can actually aggravate your back.  I wouldn't be too concerned with the pain yet. Did your doctor give you "on-cue" or a take home pain pump? Dena
Desertflower
on 7/26/07 3:42 pm - Mesa, AZ

Hi Dena, No, I did not get a pump when I went home, just a small bottle of liquid loritab...which ran out after 3 days. Randy said that an abdominal muscle strain is common.  My back has been sore too.  I also have the surgical adhesives right now and bruises all over my tummy where I got the heperin injections.  Oh what a beautiful sight I am.  Robin

Most Active