Star Jones Debate

jenncarson
on 7/23/07 1:36 pm - AZ
OHer's--- Star Jones claims that this month, she will "clear-up" all the mystery about her weight loss before her new show starts on cable. So, here's my question, I don't feel WLS should be covered by secrets or shame. Obesity is a national crisis and I feel role models like Star should advocate for all healthy weight loss options-- including WLS. I think when she wrote a book about her weight loss and didn't even mention her surgery, this was hypocritical. Were any of you influenced by celebs who had WLS. I think Al Roaker, Carnie Wilson and Sharon Osborn brought alot of attention to surgical options. What do y'all think?  -Jenn C. in Chandler
JRinAZ
on 7/23/07 2:48 pm - Layton, UT
I don't think we are all required to  "tell all" just because we have elected to have weight loss surgery.  BUT....if someone (like Star) milks her success without full disclosure for the sake of fame and forturne then I feel she is ostercizing the very support system that would potentially even buy her book or listen to her talk show!  I am disgusted by her!  I will no****ch her show.  .....  Good for her for getting healthy;  Shame on her for her misrepresentation.  ....  Al Roker rocks!  Jineane Ford of our local channel 12 rocks too!  She is doing fantastic as a lapbander! My real heroes are in my support groups.  ......  the ones who win the daily battles, share with others, mentor newbies and cheer the troops! Great question!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

blue71969
on 7/23/07 4:01 pm - glendale, AZ
That just makes me mad.  It is just another example that people with weight problems should be hidden and avoided.  I am sick of the public being made to think that the only good person is a thin person.  I agree, she should not be praised, should not have her own show and the proceeds for her book should go to charity because she surely does not deserve it if she feels like she cannot be proud of her surgery or the reason for it...
lemarie22
on 7/24/07 3:57 pm - Glendale, AZ
Here it goes... let the Boos begin. When I was fighting for insurance coverage, I wrote to Al Roker and asked for help at a National level.  I asked him to help expose, what I felt, was criminal behavior on the part of Cigna, in particular, because they kept changing the rules for coverage along with some other shady practices like consistantly losing files.  He wrote me a very nice letter and stated that he never wanted to be a poster child for weight loss, weight loss was a personal issue for him and he declined to help.  He did wish me well and I was disappointed, but understood.  There's a lot of shame associated with being fat and he already was not happy about sharing his cir****tances with the world. Let's face it, when Star Jones started dropping huge amounts of weight in a very short time, we all knew she'd had surgery.  There's no other way to lose that much weight in that amount of time.  I saw an interview with her and she said that yes, she had lost weight with medical intervention, but didn't want to say what that intervention was because everyone needs to take their own path.  She encouraged people to see their own doctors and do what was best for them, not what was best for Star Jones.  I could respect that.  I think Star Jones is a horse's ass, but I could respect that perspective.   If you look at the scrutiny celebrities get, I don't blame them for not wanting to be in the weight loss spotlight.  Look at the way the main OH message board reacts when Carnie Wilson gains weight.   Or the discussions about whether Randy Jackson has lost enough weight or is gaining weight.  I get sick and tired of people watching what I eat and I'm nobody's celebrity.  My 5'2", two hundred pound sister informed me the other day that I looked like I'd gained a few pounds and she'd been meaning to talk to me about that.  No I haven't gained weight, but thanks for being concerned.    I've always thought that wls is a personal and private decision.  I chose to tell everyone who would listen about my decision, but not everyone feels the same way, nor should they.  Obesity is a medical condition and wls is a medical procedure.   I don't think being a celebrity obligates you to talk about your medical condition to the public at large.   I commend those who do, but I don't condem those who don't. Here's what does infuriate me...  After Al Roker turned down my request for help, the next person I wrote to was our own JD Hayworth.  The way I saw it was I was a state employee and so was he at the time.  He had just had gastric bypass surgery and I certainly needed it.  The Legislature was instrumental in awarding state contracts for insurance and he certainly had a vote.  My letters and phone calls were never returned by Hayworth or anyone else in his office.  They didn't even acknowledge them.  Other politicians responded, but he didn't.  Not so much as a "kiss my ass."  No, I'm not bitter.  Here's a man who knows exactly what it's like to wear a 100 pound fat suit, sucessfully had medical intervention and was in a position to help others. He was in a position to help change the laws that govern insurance coverage of wls and he couldn't be bothered.   Connie -Who is stepping off her soap box
dfavre
on 7/24/07 5:27 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Thanks for keeping things in perspective.  I appreciate the efforts that you have put forth to help others in need.   Dawn
Most Active