Protein Basics

JRinAZ
on 7/22/07 10:25 am - Layton, UT

I am almost 5 yearst post-op so my "favorite" has changed titles several times.  In fact, immediately after my surgery, every single protein drink gagged me because they seemed too sweet.  So, my early protein supplement was the "Any Whey" flavorless.  It is 17 grams of protein per scoop and mixes nicely with just about everything.  It takes on kind of a bit of coloring like a coffee creamer would but the flavor is not altererd at all.  It thins down mashed potatoes for some reason???  Anyway.....that's a great protein to have on hand! When selecting protein drinks, remember some simple guidelines: 1.  Whey based protein is the best because it is a "complete" protein. 2.  Soy products are healthy foods but are not complete and generally have a stronger (some would say nasty) flavor. 3.  Calorie per protein gram ratio is important because you do NOT want to drink your calories in an effort to boost your protein.  (about 23 grams of protein per scoop to between 90 and 120 calories) is a good guide.  Over 120 calories is too high for a supplement! 4.  Our bodies can NOT absorb more than 30 grams of protein at one nutritional intake.  If a ready mixed protein drink has more than that then consider refrigerating a portion for later.  Drinking all of it would give your body unncessary calories and send expensive protein grams down the toilet! 5.  Do NOT mix your protein all at once in the morning and then pour yourself some periodically through the day.  Protein breaks down quickly per manufacture recommendations. 6.  Do NOT mix your protein into boiling water.  IF you prefer a hot protein drink then temper it by stirring the scoop of powder into 2 oz of warm tap water first and then adding ho****er slowly.  7.  Adding sugar free syrups to your protein drink can enhance the flavor tremendously (i.e. a pepperminut or caramel to a hot chocolate protein drink is yummy!)  Torani and Davinnci are the 2 major brands.  Torani can be purchased at Smart and Final very inexpensively! 8.  Aim for 60 grams minimum to 100 protein grams per day.  More if you are getting rady for surgery, just had surgery, are sick or work out  5 or more times a week.  (Lap Banders can NOT get all of their protein from food if they are properly restricted and are sticking to the 3 meal a day plan)  Count the grams and see!!!!  ......Granted, you don't have malabsorption to worry about but you still need about 60 grams of protein for good health. 9.  Pure whey isolates are considered the best BUT not all of us can tolerate those products.  I am one of those who has to have a protein "blend" or I will "DUMP" (Rny types) 10.  Mix your powder with WATER and not milk.  Milk adds calories to the protein drink and can cause dumping because of the lactose. Some protein brands that fit in the right ratio category: Champion Pure Whey Stack Nectar products by Syntrax Matrix products by Syntrax Unjury Profect A GREAT resource for ordering AND learning what works great for us is at the vitalady.com wehsite.  She had weight loss surgery years ago and is amazingly unselfish about sharing her tremendous knowledge base.

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

poohspal
on 7/22/07 3:36 pm - AZ
Good Info.  I am printing this up as we speak!
296/282/265/180
start/pre/now/goal
Most Active