Food/drink month before surgery

karen_n_az
on 7/19/07 2:36 pm - Thatcher, AZ
My mom has always stressed that ice tea is hard on my stomach and that it can cause ulcers.  So I was wondering if anybody here had also heard of this?  Have any of your doctors asked you to stop drinking tea before surgery?  If yes, how long before should I stop?  I practically live on cold brew tea, decaf of course and made with splenda.  I do know that black tea is a blood thinner but I figured if I stopped drinking tea all together at least a week before surgery I would be fine. Any advice on good/bad foods would be greatly appreciated!  I haven't received my pre-surg packet yet with instructions.   Thanks, Karen

~~~The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.~~~

desert rat
on 7/19/07 3:06 pm - Goodyear, AZ
My husband & I had the same surgeon.  She didn't ask either of us to stop coffee or tea before surgery.  She ask that we not have any caffeine for four months after surgery but not before.  My husband also LIVES on iced tea and he's had ZERO problems.  He just went back to drinking it at the 4 month mark and the first 4 months were really tough for him but he got through it & you will, too. Before surgery, we were advised to cut down on high fat foods to help reduce the fat in and on the liver.  It makes the laproscopic procedure easier.  I have known lots of people however, who have pigged out right up until the moment they had to stop eating just before starting the colon cleanse.  I guess it just depends on what your doctor wants you to do and how committed you are.  I was pretty committed to following the rules because I never felt that I needed a "last meal."  I knew that nothing was LAST.  I knew that eventually I would be able to eat anything I wanted as long as I was reasonable.  Two years post-op, I am at that point.   Do the best you can but keep your safety and health in the number one position as you move through this process. Best of luck, Dj
 Pre-Op 316.  Currently 134.  Goal was 135 but I'm ecstatic.
Arizona_Sun
on 7/20/07 5:26 am - Gilbert, AZ
I have not heard the ulcer relationship wtih tea.  Tea does have tannins in it and that can contribute to the formation of kidney stones.  A year ago I had an abdominal ultrasound and my kidneys were clear.  I started drinking ice tea last fall.  I had a spinal MRI done in May and it noted something with my left kidney.  I had another abdominal ultrasound and I now have calcium deposits in my kidney.  I have sworn off tea because I had a kidney stone many years ago and it is not a pleasant experience.  I would rather give birth to another child.   For some reason it seems that gastric bypass are a bit more prone to kidney stones so just keep this in mind if you do drink tea.

Sandra B. View my journal and educational pages at www.acdlady.com/WLS_1 "Trust your own instinct.  Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s."  –Billy Wilder  "Know your labs and track your trends."  

Most Active