75% Will be Overweight by 2015

jenncarson
on 7/19/07 10:44 am - AZ

OHers-  After I read the article below today, I thought-- Good for us! We have all taken a giant step to fight obesity and be as healthy as we can be for ourselves and our families! If you read the stat below, you will see that more and more of our friends, family, neighbors or co-workers may also need WLS to overcome obesity.  My Mom is getting banded on Sept 25th! Yeah! Do any of you have more than one WLS-er in your family? What is that like? How do you encourage each other?-Jenn C. in Chandler MSNBC is reporting that if people keep gaining weight at the current rate, fat will be the norm by 2015, with 75 percent of U.S. adults overweight and 41 percent obese, U.S. researchers from John's Hopkins predicted on Wednesday. These researchers also report that in 2015, 24% of kids and teens will be overweight or obsese. 

David S.
on 7/19/07 11:09 am

As you may be aware my DW and I had RNY in March of this year.  The biggest step is that we both know the rules, and can support each other when the other one is feeling weak.  We've also been able to share in each other's success as we've progressed.  In much of our lives, we've had our successes at different times, but with this, we are both having success at the same time. 

As for friends and family members, many have seen our lives become more healthy and active, and say they are inspired to become more healthy themselves.  My mom is in the 6 month exercise/diet plan to move toward surgery.  I think she is just amazed how well we've done so far, and wants some of that success for herself. --Dave

Dave from AZ     
karen_n_az
on 7/19/07 2:20 pm, edited 7/19/07 2:20 pm - Thatcher, AZ

Two of the biggest reasons that I am having the surgery are: to be a better mother and have a more positive influence on both my kids. My son isn't as active as I would like and I want to see him and I do some boxing.  I have both my kids in Karate and I had planned on putting them in soccer.  I can't promise the soccer anymore because my nursing classes put on top of the surgery are going to be kickin my butt!   I actually started home schooling my son because they took physical education completely out of his class in fourth grade.  He had 15 minutes outside in the morning and 15 minutes after lunch.  Then he was sent home with 3-4 hours of homework! My son just started watching Big Medicine.  It was amazing the transformation he had.  He went from wanting the happy meal to a much healthier subway sandwich with apples.  I still haven't been able to get him to kick the sodas though.  I try to explain to him that it’s so easy to lose control with out making him a fanatic about his weight. I work hard everyday to keep my kids healthy and educated about their health.

~~~The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.~~~

desert rat
on 7/19/07 3:18 pm - Goodyear, AZ
My hubby & I are both Lap-RNYers & we both had Dr. Blackstone.  My hubby will hit the 6 month mark on 8-6-07 while I just passed the 2 yr mark.  He can actually eat MORE than I can, but not as much variety.  We both wear our pedometer and encourage each other to get those 10,000 steps, we make sure we each take our vitamins & protein.  We share meals at restaurants really easily because he's no longer selecting chicken fried steak drowned in white gravey!   Now we split a 9 oz steak and still have left-overs for the dogs!  It really helps that we are both living the same plan.   You will be a big help to your mom but soon enough she will encourge youl, too. Dj
 Pre-Op 316.  Currently 134.  Goal was 135 but I'm ecstatic.
Most Active