scared about surgery

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/07 7:48 am - AZ
Hello all- I need to share with everyone. I am having surgery on August 6th, pretty late in the afternoon, and then going home afterwards that day. Is this normal and will I have alot of pain? I did not think about this before, will i be able to function or will I sleep? Just a few anxieties . I don't want my kids to see me in pain? thanks Kelly
carolem
on 7/17/07 8:19 am - Austin , TX

Which surgery are you having.  Sounds like yours will be laproscopic, either RNY or Lap-band.  They are doing more and more of these as outpatients. 

You'll probably be told to fill your pain meds before you have the surgery.  Have a heating pad ready for yourself at home.  All you'll want to do is walk around the house a little, and rest with your feet up and the heating pad on your incisions.  

Your not going to feel like making beds, doing housework, or cooking anyone's dinner when you come home.  Your not to lift anything either, not even a small grocery bag.  You need to have someone help you with your children for a few days.   The first month is pretty important to follow your doctor's order's exactly.

You'll be able to shower, get in and out of a recliner/chair and bed. You won't be eating much, mainly clear liquids for awhile, broths, jello, etc.  Have this on hand when you come home and then whatever dietary requirements your doctor has for you, be prepared.  You won't be an invalid, but you won't have a lot of energy either.  You will have some pain, but it won't be anything the pain medication you'll have ready can't handle.  Talk to your children in advance so they will have the correct expectation while your recovering. 

Carole M

arroyo
on 7/17/07 12:04 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I was scheduled at 1 p.m. but I think I ended up actually having the surgery at like 3 p.m. I was the last one and number 6. I even joked with the surgeon about being tired, but she said she was just getting warmed up. I was really out of it because I had a lot of nausea from the anesthesia so the meds for that made me sleepy. My husband didn't even come until like 9:30 because I was sleeping and really out of it. Your kids might be asleep by the time you go home, I just went straight to bed. You will be in some pain but I don't think your kids will be shocked by it, mostly you will be tired. The nausea isn't really common for most people. I think they will see you mostly as being tired. The hardest part was getting up and down, that is when I felt the most pain. I heard recliners are great, but I don't have one. Good luck! 

Before pre-op diet: 286.5/ Day before surgery: 275.5/Current: 171

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/07 12:36 pm - AZ
Thanks for the reply!! i have had surgeries before so i think it will be like normal pain but tolerable. I hope I just sleep and I will just not walk up and down th stairs. I will just hng down stairs. I will keep you updated. Thanks for the support it is great! Kelly
Most Active