4 DAYS PRE-OP! What to take to the hospital?

M. clarke
on 7/16/07 4:10 am
They will give you a list of things you can have. If your Dr. Blackstone (and she may have changed this since my surgery in Nov.)  You aren't allowed any type of fruit product  until your 1st month class. So no apple juice :( The clear liquids she allowed were water, jello, and chicken broth. Sugar free, not cherry or strawberry as it will show red if you throw up and you won't know if you are throwing up blood or jello. The jell-o supposable has a little bit of protein, so if you feel you are getting nauseated or low blood sugar you can have some jell-o or broth. I personally couldn't drink broth. I ate a few bites of jello each day just to help with the nausea. I still can't eat jell-o to this day. It tasted so awful at the time. Be prepared for that. Things will taste bad after surgery that tasted good before. They will give you broth and jell-o in the hospital to try if you want. I wasn't interested in it. But my nieces (age 2 and 4) loved the jell-o when they came to visit me! At your post op class (which is normally about a week out. Mine was 8 days out, some others I know it was only like 4 days) you will get your proteins and start your protein drinks. They used to count isopure toward your water intake also. (again this may have changed) Everything is very limited until month 4. You get some fruits and veggies back at your one month class. Then at your 4 month class you will get the remainder of meats and fruits and veggies back. I realize it seems like a long time (1 week or so) to wait to eat anything. But it really isn't that bad. I didn't feel like eating anything even after 8 days. Your tummy will be sore and recovering and you likely won't want anything in it anyways. I brought my cd player so I could use the mediation cd they gave us. My boyfriend bought me a big cuddelly polar bear that I slept with while I was there. I also used it when I walked. I found it helped to hold something tight against my tummy while I was doing my walking both in the hospital and that first week after I got home. I also brought my own pillow, slippers, and night gown. You have to do a lot of walking while you are there so a nice pair of slippers is probably a good idea. I mostly slept and walked. She only allows you to be in your bed for like 6 hours. The rest of the time you are either walking or sitting up in the chair. You can sleep while your in the chair, you just can't be laying down for more then 6 hours. The free massage you get while your in the hospital is awsome too! (assuming they are still doing that). Although I fell asleep right after the guy started. But what I remember of it was wonderful. Your butterflies are normal. Do try and relax. Did you get the mediation cd from them? I found that very helpful. If you like baths make sure you get your fill in before your surgery as you won't be able to take one post surgery until your stitches are healed. So at least a month (maybe more if you have leakage or problems with the healing there). I always find a bubble bath relaxing. What ever it is that you do to relax you should try doing lots of the next few days. It is important to take care of your mental health as well as your physical especially that first month after surgery. It will help you to recover better if you can be peaceful in your mind. Great luck to you Robin!
M. clarke
on 7/16/07 4:19 am
Meditation not mediation cd. (I apparently can't spell either!)
M. clarke
on 7/16/07 4:15 am
p.s. Seems I wrote enough before but forgot to mention (yes I know my posts get loooong). For Dr Blackstone she didn't allow any type of additives to the water. Water was strictly water, no sugar free drinks or crystal light or juices or anything. The only thing she did allow was a little bit of lemon squeezed into the water if you were nauseated. They initially said no even to lemon, but when I was having serious nauseated problems they told me lemon was allowed in that situation.
Desertflower
on 7/16/07 3:53 pm - Mesa, AZ
You are so kind to give me all this information...I truly appreciate it.  The massage especially sounds good to me!I will use the CD I got in class...I had forgotten about it. I feel so much better knowing that Dr. Blackstone took such good care of you.  Thanks again. Robin
nicoleaz
on 7/16/07 4:20 pm - Phoenix, AZ
The only thing I can add to Liss's thorough account of the hospital experience is how having my own pillow there with me was priceless. Oh! Also, many women get their periods after surgery because of the trauma to the body so if that's a possibility you might want to bring a few of your own pads - the ones the hospital provides are just awful. I found it easier to use baby wipes when going to the bathroom to make sure everything was taken care of down there...also provided by the hospital. I wish I had brought some chapstick because my lips got quite dry no matter how much water I drank. I brought a book but didn't read it. They kept me in a gown most of the time but make sure you bring something loose fitting and comfy for the ride home. Water. Jell-o (any color but red). Chicken or vegetable broth. Herbal, caffeine-free tea. I think that's all that is allowed until your post-op class at 1 week. Prepare yourself for the left shoulder gas pain. It's uncomfortable, but it DOES go away and the more you move (walk) the sooner it disappears. Use your spirometer as often as they tell you to - using it more actually brought down a potential fever for me! You are going to do great! Sorry I rambled on ;) Nicole
Desertflower
on 7/17/07 12:15 am - Mesa, AZ
Nicole, Thank you so much for the ideas...my pillows will now be coming with me!  Did your pain meds help with the post op discomfort?  Chap stick is a great idea, too. Also, how did it feel the first time you started to drink water? I went to Wallmart and bought (you guessed it) SF RED jello...argh!  I'll make some green or yellow stuff today. Will have lots to do tomorrow.  Hello...BOWEL PREP DAY!!! Take care and God Bless. Robin
nicoleaz
on 7/17/07 1:38 am - Phoenix, AZ
Drinking water didn't feel any different. When I began the soft protein diet which follows the liquid diet I noticed digestion was noisier than it had been in the past (gurgles and whatnot) and I was more aware of foods as they reached my new stomach. I drank the lemon/lime flavor bowel prep ice cold AND over ice. It seemed to go down okay - tasted like really salty sprite. Some people say they mixed it with real sprite, but I swore off soda so I drank it straight up. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be, just spent lotsa time READING in the bathroom! haha :)
Most Active