4 DAYS PRE-OP! What to take to the hospital?

Desertflower
on 7/15/07 7:59 pm - Mesa, AZ
Any suggestions from my friends out there would be helpful.  I am having RNY with Dr. Blackstone this Thursday at 12:00pm.  I am very excited and just a bit nervous right now, so I am trying to keep busy and think of where I will be in 6 months, 8 months and my 1 year anniversary... I need some ideas on what to take with me to the hospital.  I'd really appreciate knowing what you brought and what came in handy for you while you were there.  Can I bring my own nightie & robe? What about a CD player for music? How did you handle the "butterflies" in your stomach prior to your surgery?  It has been difficult for me to sleep the last few nights. Also, what did you buy for clear liquids to have after surgery during your first week post-op?  Is apple juice OK? Thanks for your ideas and if you think of me on Thursday around lunch-time...I'd be grateful for all your positive thoughts.  I am so glad I found this place and all of you, too. Robin
johnb_az
on 7/15/07 10:37 pm - Phoenix, AZ

Hi Robin,
  Try to relax, you are in great hands with Dr. Blackstone.  I was a very high risk patient and she did an excellent job on me.

I took my laptop, I was able to connect to the library's wi-fi network.  I also got a few books to read.  The CD player is a good idea.   Expect to have to walk every two hours around the halls from early a.m. to late p.m.  You will also have to sit in a chair all day.  They do not want you to get back in bed during the day... and it's a loooong day...   You will love to get home and "rest" as you don't sleep as much as you think in the hospital.  Realize this is only 2 to 3 days out of the rest of your life. 

I can not remember about the apple juice.  I do remember learning to hate jello after having so much of it...

Good luck and keep us informed. 

M. clarke
on 7/16/07 4:16 am
LOL. Me too Doc. I still can't eat jell-o.
Desertflower
on 7/16/07 3:38 pm - Mesa, AZ
Hi, abd thanks for the suggestions.  I am happy that your surgery went to well with Dr. Blackstone. As I pack my bag I'll be creative, like you were...and remind myself that this is all worth it. Robin
Celeste B.
on 7/16/07 1:33 am - SAN TAN VALLEY, AZ

Hello Robin, You will be just fine, I was the same way. Butterflies in my stomach and sleepless nights prior to surgery. What helped me was to continue to ask myself "Are you sure this is what you want?" everytime the answer was the same "YES" so then I went through with and just trusted God to take control of the situation.

I brought a few things to the hospital that I never used.  They provide you with everything. I was @ Banner Good Sam w/Dr.Villares and it was a great experience.  You can bring your own gown and robe, I brought a wrap of mine, so after they took out all of my tubes I took a shower and put on wrap and wore that for the rest of my stay. A walkman is a great idea though

Desertflower
on 7/16/07 3:42 pm - Mesa, AZ
Hey thanks, and I am glad you are doing so well.  I have a light robe, slippers etc.  Think I am on the right track. I have also turned this over to God.  I know that this is the right thing for me to do.  I am ready to live again. Robin
Celeste B.
on 7/17/07 2:56 am - SAN TAN VALLEY, AZ
You will be fine. I have faith in WLS and everything it has to offer. You sound like you have it all together.  Congrats again
deenie4
on 7/16/07 3:01 am
Good morning, I had my surgery in Michigan on June 19th and brought a few things with me. You can bring your own robe and nightie, but remember, you will have an IV and may not be able to change until they take it out. I used two hospital gowns. One as a robe since they snap and you can put it over your shoulders.  I didn't have butterflies until I was in the pre-op room! That was taken care of with the anti-anxiety medication they give you right before they take you up to surgery.  After surgery you can have apple juice, but you have to dilute it. For clear liquids, I had alot of chicken stock and dliuted juices, ie cranapple, apple and crangrape. I also had a product called Health Wise protein shakes. They have one that tastes like a mocha. I'm not sure if Dr. Blackstone uses this product. My throughts will be with you during your surgery! Dena
Desertflower
on 7/16/07 3:47 pm - Mesa, AZ
Thank you Dena.  I know that I will probably overpack as I usually do...but my husband said not to worry...he'll carry the bag for me (so sweet). I know that I'll be walking a lot, so I have some sturdy slippers. I guess my butterflies are normal.  I know in my heart that I am taking another step on my journey and I am excited too.  I will ask about the protein. Here's to a band new birthday on Thursday!!! Take care. Robin
deenie4
on 7/17/07 2:45 am

Good luck with your surgery.  My mom went to Michigan with me, so she carried my stuff too!  I brought sturdy slippers with me too and they came in handy! Butterflies are definitely normal.. You will be so happy once the surgery is done and you're feeling better. I guess with the foods and diet each surgeon is different. I'm just four weeks post-op and I'm starting soft foods today. From what I've read, Dr. Blackstone seems to be more cautious reintroducing foods. If you have any questions when you get out, I'm here!   Dena

Most Active