To tofu or not to tofu?

karen_n_az
on 7/14/07 12:24 pm, edited 7/14/07 12:30 pm - Thatcher, AZ

So I am trying to incorporate some new foods into my family menu.  I need to know what you all have found out there that your family will eat.  I would like everyone to eat healthy.  I’ve actually been weeding out the bad stuff just in the past year.  No sodas, no caffeine, no ketchup, we haven’t had real granulated sugar pass the threshold in over four years.  They are working well with the process.  Sssoooooo! 

I bought some tofu today and we are going to be making tofu smoothies tonight for dinner.  My husband has already revolted on the tofu try out!  

Is tofu even a good choice after bypass surgery?   

What are some good choices for myself right after surgery?

~~~The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.~~~

David S.
on 7/15/07 12:31 am
Tofu tip- There is more than one type of tofu.  One is kinda slimy and the other has more of a "chicken" texture.  I like the chicken texture type better, although I'll admit I tend to root with your husband when it comes to voting for TOFU.  As for the protein, although I'm not a nutritionist, I have read an article that indicated that soy based proteins are not "complete" proteins and do not contain all the esential amino acids that meats such as chicken, fish, beef, and pork have.  That said, the completeness of different types of proteins seems to be a "hot" topic here on OH, and I'm not a true expert.  Hopefully I can just give you some food for thought, and a point of reference for more research! --Dave
Dave from AZ     
JRinAZ
on 7/15/07 3:46 am - Layton, UT
I  have always served delicious meals with the conviction that "full disclosure" is not necessary!  .....My kids who hate onions will have a difficult time finding them (love to cook with onion flakes)...my hubby who does not like zuchinni will definitely be able to identify and remove........ In other words, if YOU want it and the recipe sounds delish then just whip it up and serve it.  You might end up with Tofu addicts!  LOL! My favorite soy concoctions are firm tofu stir fried with oodles of flavorful veggies and a great sauce.  Tofu takes on the flavor of the dish so bland begets bland and flavor begets flavor.  I love the shirataki (tofu) noodles that are ready to serve, have a couple of calories, a bit of protein and are fantastic as a spaghetti replacement. Edenamme with some sea salt is "to die" for as a healthy snack or mini meal (yup....they are soy) Good luk with your tofu quest.  When it's all said and done....sometimes going back to the old standbys that can be identified by all is best.....  marinated, grilled steak!!!!  Yummy!  Pass the spicey A1 !!!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

David S.
on 7/15/07 5:41 am

Joyce,  Your mention of marinated, grilled steak is making my mouth water!   --Dave

Dave from AZ     
lemarie22
on 7/15/07 1:07 am - Glendale, AZ
Tofu chunks sauteed in a lite soy sauce was one of the first semi solid foods that Blackstone had us try, back in the day.  It was OK, but I haven't intentionally eaten Tofu since and I'm still alive.  I'm with your husband, I'd probably revolt at a Tofu Smoothie.  I make Smoothies the following way and  even my non-wls friends are all believers.  I've made a convert out of my yogurt-hating boyfriend with these. 1 carton of low carb flavored yogurt 1 banana 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed 1 big scoop of vanilla protein powder Couple of splashes of diet cranberry juice or any other lower sugar juice Berries - I usually throw in 5 or 6 strawberries and whatever else I have on hand like raspberries or blueberries.  Sometimes I just throw in mixed frozen berries. Top it off with enough ice to fill the rest of the blender and let it whirl.   This will give you 2 or 3 good size smoothies.  The flax seed adds fiber and essential fatty acids.  I can'tstand the taste of protein powders, but all the fruit covers the taste of the protein powder.  I've tried making them without the juice and they turn out too stiff.  I suppose water would work just as well, but I drink lite cranberry juice for bladder ph balance so may as well throw it in the smoothie.  It is a little high in sugar because of the banana, but this doesn't seem to bother me.  I normally can't tolerate more than about 15 grams of sugar without dumping, but these don't cause me to dump. Connie
karen_n_az
on 7/15/07 5:08 am - Thatcher, AZ
Thank you all! Well the smoothie wasn't that bad, in fact my son drank two!  His friend didn't like them as much and my daughter wouldn't even touch it.  My little man is kind of going to through a "try everything'" phase.  I bought a fresh coconut last night for him.  I have no idea how that thing is getting opened yet.   The only bad thing about the smoothie I made is that it only had around 7g of protein and about 33g of carbs.  I also bought a canister of Advant Edge Soy Protein mix.  It has 20g of protein in each scoop and only 19g of carbs.  It sounds healthier but I haven't tasted it yet. I'm going to call the nutritionist on Monday for some extra help.  I've been given the chance of a lifetime and I want to do my best. thanks for all the info and please keep it coming I will gladly take everyones advice.   Karen

~~~The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.~~~

ginau
on 7/15/07 6:57 am - mesa, AZ
Karen   just a suggestion -- stay away from the smoothies !! your just drinking  calories !!   try and find a good protein shake ..   I do a shake a couple times a day   - for variety - I had in sugar free syrups !  when you in chandler - checklout nutrition wharehouse - they sell sample  and single serving packets - try a few beofre you invest $$$ money !  if your going rny your taste will change, if lap bander  - you will be OK
lemarie22
on 7/15/07 12:46 pm - Glendale, AZ

Have you opened the Soy protein powder yet?  If not, maybe you can take it back and swap it for some kind of whey protein powder.  Whey is much better absorbed.  I should have mentioned that before.   This whole journey is a little bit of trial and error.  Everybody is different, but you'll find your way. Connie

karen_n_az
on 7/15/07 4:10 pm - Thatcher, AZ
I haven't opened it yet.  My little brother said the whey was better also.  I'm going to check that out in the morning and see if I can take it back. thank you so much ! karen

Most Active