Traveling @ 4 months out

nicoleaz
on 7/14/07 2:59 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hey everyone   hope you're all staying cooool! I'll be going to Florida for a week at the end of the month and I'm trying to do some major planning ahead of time so I can keep on track while on vacation. I meet with my dietitian in a few days and will discuss food choices when eating out. Anyone have travel tips to share? So far I have two concerns - picking a protein supplements that is easy to travel with and whether or not there is a non-fizzy version of Airborne - I am afraid of getting sick on the plane and feeling miserable during my trip!
JRinAZ
on 7/14/07 3:20 am - Layton, UT
A couple of things I have learned about traveling (the hard way).  1.  Do NOT buy sugar free candy to nibble on an airplane!  (the sorbitol, manitol....aka as explosives.....can inflate you like a baloon while in a high altitude)! 2.  Do NOT take protein powder in ziploc baggies in your purse.  You will have to dump them before boarding. 3.  Do NOT stick protein bars in your purse when in a heated area....  Yucky yucky yucky when melted! Tips:  protein sample packets can be taken in your purse and then open and shaken into a cup of water on the plane.  It gives you a little protein boost to hold you over when the hectic arrival and settling at the hotel takes longer than planned. Profect protein tubes can be tossed in your suitcase and then downed any time you are sight seeing or doing business.  Great travel tubes!!! Muscle Milk Light can be purchases in juice box sizes..  They are great to toss into a cooler or a hotel refrigerator for a fast protein drink.  Make sure you buy the Light though or you'll be downing some big calories! I buy jerkey from Costco and then cut it with scissors into teeny tiny pieces.  I divide it up into little snack ziploc bags and pack in my suitcase.  They are low calorie and give a protein fix til you can land in a nice restaurant. Need to wait in the airport for a long time?  Buy a pack of sunflower seeds with the shells on.  You'll get a little extra salt to help with the lost electrolytes during summer perspiring, you'll get a teeny bite of protein and you'll keep your hands and mouth busy on something relatively harmless.  (It may even keep you away from a high clorie Starbucks!) BEST TIP:  Have a water bottle with you at all time and drink, drink, drink!  Planes can zap the moisture from every pore and traveling gets us out of our routine.  Hydrate yourself well before your trip. Have FUN!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

nicoleaz
on 7/14/07 2:47 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hey Joyce! Thank you so much for the tips! I hate the Profect, but bought a 4-pack of the Light Muscle Milk today and am sipping it as we speak. It's damn good! I am totally bringing this with me on my trip. I'm not sure about the jerky...I always found it difficult to chew pre-op, I'm a little scared to try post-op! lol Thanks again!  Florida here I come! Nicole
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 7/15/07 2:14 am - Tucson, AZ
I put my powder in the checked bags, but I was told that I could have put it in my carryon because it is not liquid.  Have you run across this problem recently???  I was also told that you can bring food but not liquids on board and through security.  Found this out too late for myself as I was going through security when I heard this.  This was Southwest Airlines.
Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

JRinAZ
on 7/15/07 3:58 am - Layton, UT
Becky, I'll admit that my traveling powder "incident" was about a year ago.  One time at the SLC airport they were going to make me toss the ziploc snack size bags of protein powder.  I told them what it was and then dipped my finger in each bag followed by popping my coated finger in my mouth.  They suggested that I put it in my checked baggage the next time.  ......  A few weeks later, at the Phoenix airport, they made me throw about 12 pricey precious protein bags away!  ....Soooooo.... I just stick it in the check - on luggage now and take the dry - sealed samples of Nectar powder on the plane.  .....I know that liquids is the current "no no" though. Maybe a good old bag of airline peanuts could be classified as a healthy protein option once in a while???? 
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 7/15/07 8:21 am - Tucson, AZ

I think it depends on the guard and the airlines.  I thought about bringing a note from the doctor for the protein powder.  I sure didn't want it to get lost in the luggage and then have to buy more when I got there.  It all worked out this time anyway.

Only thing I thought about the peanuts was that they are the beer nuts that have sugar on them.

Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

Desertflower
on 7/15/07 8:12 pm - Mesa, AZ
Hi Joyce, Great tips for travel.  Question:  Where do you buy the Muscle Milk? My surgery is this Thursday....Sometimes its hard to believe that this is really happening. Thanks, Robin
Most Active