Lap Band vs RNY

justcuz
on 7/14/07 12:38 pm - Maricopa, AZ
I'm reading your reasons and it is like reading my own. I knew it would be a committment and I would see results quickly, which I knew would inspire me to stay on track. Plus my sister is 3 years post op and she has kept off the 200lbs she lost.  With the increase in Lap folks, I'm noticing a mixed reaction from them. But I agree, it is a personal choice and as long as it works for each of us, we are all winners.

------------
                     laughter is the key to life     

arroyo
on 7/14/07 9:43 am - Phoenix, AZ
It's interesting reading everyone's posts. I personally never considered WLS until I heard about the band. I never thought of by-pass as an option for me  but was frustrated with not being successful on my own. In the past I have been able to stay on a program for a period of time and then always gained the weight back and more. I guess I just lost the momentum and I feel that the band will help me keep that momentum going. I like the fact that you make enough changes to loose the weight but there aren't foods that are forbidden forever (except gum and soda) so you can have a normal diet just in smaller quantities. I also like how it's adjustable to fit your needs, so if there isn't good restriction you can always get a fill. I also like only having to take a multivitamin and knowing I am getting the nutrients I need through the food I eat. I think both surgeries are great, it's just a matter of what fits your lifestyle best.

Before pre-op diet: 286.5/ Day before surgery: 275.5/Current: 171

justcuz
on 7/14/07 12:41 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Definate advantage is the eating anything you want later. I will miss some of my old friends....

------------

lemarie22
on 7/14/07 10:48 am - Glendale, AZ
I chose RNY because I'm the master of manipulation, rationalization and justification.  I joined Weigh****chers back in the days when you had to make your own catsup and I've cheated my way through every diet since then.  I needed something that was going to kick my butt when I didn't comply.  I felt that if I had the band, I would have been living on milkshakes and pudding and eating my way around the band.  I also didn't want to spend the time and effort going back and forth for fills and adjustments.  I'm a set it and forget it kind of gal. Having said all that, I wonder what kind of long-term effects rearranging my plumbing is going to have.  I don't regret my deciion for a second and would do the same thing all over again, but you can't tinker with Mother Nature and not pay a price.  I'm totally compliant with my vitamins and not a drinker, but I have an enlarged pancreas and liver.  I have episodes of low blood sugar that I never had before.  On the other hand, my blood levels are all good and my cholesterol is about as low as you can get.  My blood pressure is normally around 103/60.  I'm healthier than my doctor.   I can eat anything I want, within limits.  In the beginning, I felt deprived because I couldn't polish off a whole Mexican combination plate.  It took a little while,but I eventually adjusted and I don't remember feeling deprived for about the last 2 1/2 years.  I can have a bite or two of cake and I'm satisfied.  There's really nothing I can't eat.  I just can't eat without limits like I used to.  The amazing thing is that I really don't want to.   Connie
poohspal
on 7/14/07 10:49 am - AZ
I absolutelt agree that this is all apersonal choice and what is best for you. That being said, I have chosen the band for these simple reasons; 1. Rerouting and cutting a part of me out, really freaked me out. 2. Less evasive, quicker recovery 3.Slower weight loss, ( 2nd goal no- plastics) it just doesn't seem healthy to lose 100 pounds in 6mo.  Although I will admit that for some the quicker its off the better! 4. I wanted more then an 18 month window for loss. - RNY you have a time frame for loss and if you have regain you are in the same boat as the rest of the world...   With the Band if years down the line I need to "adjust" because of some weight gain, I can start all over! :) Big bonus! 5. To be successful I have to train myself from the very beginning how to eat to be healthy and lose. RNY really don't learn maintance until they are at goal. Although I have to admit some days a quick weightloss sounds so nice. IMHO   Me!
296/282/265/180
start/pre/now/goal
justcuz
on 7/14/07 12:46 pm - Maricopa, AZ
A very good case for Lap. I especially like the plasitics part. That is not something I'm looking forward to. ick

------------

RayM
on 7/14/07 2:23 pm - Surprise, AZ
I thinking of getting Lap-Band. I think my main reason is that I think it would be better to have my body work the way god made it.  I see that both have pros and cons.  To me it seems like the Band lets your body function as made just at slow pace with A LOT smaller amount of food.  I have always hated taking meds and stuff because I feel the body should take care of itself.  Now because of my weight issues and MUST take meds and insulin wish I hate doing.   At this point I think if the band can help me reduce my meds and weight by any amount its worth it to me.
Jeanne G.
on 7/14/07 3:18 pm - Peoria, AZ
I originally thought that RNY was too invasive and I was going to go with the band. After doing extensive research and talking to Dr Juarez I have elected to go with the RNY (9/4/07). The statistics on cure or partial resolution of Diabetes, High BP, High Chol, etc vary immensly. Because of the malabsorption factor with RNY the "bad stuff" doesn't get through either. Cure rate for diabetes alone is 84-98% with RNY in opposed to 48% with the band. 97% for RNY high chol in opposed to "improved" with the band. Anyone with medical problems such as these should look at the statistics before making a decision. The weight loss alone will not necessarily bring your levels back to normal.

Jeanne G

David S.
on 7/15/07 12:24 am
Don't forget sleep apnea!  At less than 2 months out, I no longer needed my CPAP!  I don't know if that time frame is sooner/later than others, but I enjoy every night's sleep without sleep apnea.  Most WLS prospectives have some type of apnea, due to increased neck size, even if they aren't officially diagnosed.  A better night's sleep makes for a better life! --Dave
Dave from AZ     
M. clarke
on 7/15/07 6:46 pm
Dave that is awsome about not needing your cpap anymore. Did you have another apnea test done or did you just decide you didn't need it any longer? I have been debating going in and doing another sleep study. I think i'm going to wait unitl I am under 200 pounds. I would hate to go through another sleep study to have them tell me I do need it, and then have to turn around and do yet another one after I lose more weight. I'm crossing my fingers that the weight loss will resolve it for me. Most of my apneas were obstructive, but some of them were the other kind (don't remember the name of them) where your brain forgets to tell you to breath. I'm anxious to get rid of that machine! Although I bet it takes some time to get used to not sleeping with it. Now i'm so used to it I have a hard time getting to sleep without it. Did you have trouble adjusting to not using it?
Most Active