Another question for those who use Blackstone. PLEASE

flyrep
on 7/13/07 2:40 pm - AZ
Anyone know why she has lost 3 surgeons in the last few months??????

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
Hard Core Constitutionalist
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

Nicole W.
on 7/13/07 5:26 pm, edited 7/13/07 5:26 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
She lost Dr. Kohler and Dr. Kieran last summer.  Dr. Kohler told me (I had my inital consult with her) she was going to teach medical school, it was her life long dream and she went to pursue it.  From what I heard from other patients and office staff, Dr. Kieran had a military obligation that she had to fullfill. There was another doctor at the office when I first started looking into bariatric surgery, but from what I understand he retired back in early 2005 and that is when Dr. Blackstone took over. They left in August and September of last year... Dr. Blackstone has a new surgeon with her now from what I understand is under Dr. B's wing at the moment and not doing surgeries on his/her own yet until Dr. Blackstone feels completely comfortable.  Dr. Blackstone is a extreme perfectionist and wants all her patients safe before and during the surgery and that is why she is extremely throrough and has a long wait list now, because she is one of the best and most reccommended bariatric surgeons in the valley.   Also her program is extremely structured and successful. ~Nicole

TinkerBell

ginau
on 7/14/07 1:43 am - mesa, AZ
Fly  Dr Blacstone also helps new surgeons do their fellowships,  she did hers with Dr Zahn I believe and she extends herself and practice to other new surgeons , She does put them through and exstensive interview process and training before she releases them to do surgeries on their own - she maintains a high level of standards.  Thats why people are willing to wait for her , Do dont feel like a an assembly line patient , I did a lot a Dr comparisons and felt for me personally - her practices would give me the best care - I stick with my decision and have no regrets about hte medical care I have received .  Good Luck with your choices  
lemarie22
on 7/14/07 2:22 am - Glendale, AZ
I can't say anything about the last two surgeons.  I do know that a couple of patients complained of excessive bruising after her first partner assisted with some surgeries while her surgical nurse was on vacation and the next thing I know, he's gone.  I have no idea whether that had anything to do with his leaving or not.  I once had a long conversation with a nurse that used to work with her at the hospital.  The following is only what I was told and I can't testify to the accuracy of it...  She told me that working with/for Blackstone is sometimes rough because of how tough and exacting Blackstone is about patient care.  She told me that Blackstone does not tolerate mistakes and she can be pretty brutal if she feels that her patients aren't getting the best of care.  It was for that reason, and her skills as a surgeon that this nurse chose Blackstone to do her own surgery.   Again, I don't know any of this for fact.  I do know that I waited longer to have Blackstone herself do my surgery because I wanted someone exacting and critical to be in charge of whether I lived or died. Connie
flyrep
on 7/14/07 9:04 am - AZ
Thanks guys!

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
Hard Core Constitutionalist
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

johnb_az
on 7/15/07 10:12 am, edited 7/15/07 10:13 am - Phoenix, AZ
I heard the same reasons for the doctors leaving as listed above.  I can also testify that she is very much a perfectionist.  She might be really hard on staff, but treats her patients the best I have seen and I have seen a lot as a retired Cardiac ICU nurse.   I was planning on waiting for her, but by the time my surgery came it was only her.  I was extreme high risk and she almost did not do the surgery.  I am so very grateful every single day she did. 
Most Active