What a SCAM! Out of Network Fees.... Weightloss Institute of Arizona

snlfan
on 7/13/07 2:57 am
I knew I was being scammed.  I went to the Weightloss Institute of Arizona in Tempe and was told that because I had UHC only 1 doctor there was contracted and I would have to pay the out of network "co-surgeon" fee. They have a $500 program fee and $1000 support fee too.  Plus they make you use the psychologist in that office for $400.  It would have been over $7500 for me to use them WITH INSURANCE! I was told that was standard in the WLS industry.   I left very upset and calld UHC.  UHC said I could go to another office that would not charge those fees.  Well I am now going to another office that is only going to charge my co-pay and no support fee, no program fee and the psychologist was of my choosing.  $25 co-pay for that!  Not $400.  I am looking at less than $500 for the whole thing.     I felt like the Weightloss Institute was trying to take advantage of my desperation and that is WRONG!  Has anyone else had that happen to them??? Anyone considering any type of WLS should do good research with the insurance company before they sign on with any office.  Program fees and support fees are NOT required by the insurance company.  You can get your blood drawn at the lab your insurance is contracted with most don't have a co-pay for that. I am glad that I decided to do some "shopping around" before I chose a surgeon.   I have all my medical records and UHC should be approving my soon.  I hope to have surgery in August. Thanks to everyone that helped me when I was so frustrated!  Who needs to pay for support when its RIGHT HERE!!! Thanks!!!!
ginau
on 7/13/07 11:55 am - mesa, AZ

Snl  dont be too hard on them, every office here in the valley offers something differant, While I glad you found a better choice for yourself  I too was once in your shoes,  I checked all the differant surgeons and programs and found one I preferred -& yes I paid a program fee and they have their ups & downs  no doubt about it.  By the way you have UHC , So do I and my total out of pocket was over 2500 and that did not include the program fee of $1000 ( BY THE WAY MY SURGEONS OFFICE NO LONGER CHARGES  - BUT I PAID ) or the Psych  eval  - also paid out of pocket.  So consider the weekly office visits at 30 a pop , the  extra dr & test  you made need to see to get clearance , not  to mention  meds when you get out & I also have a monthly copay for a sleep apnea machine.  the additional  hosp portion you will have to pay ..  Just beware that you may encounter some additional exspnse you didnt plan on..  I didnt mind paying for the wonderful  care I reveived and continue to receive and would pay 3x as much  knowing now what I didnt know then .  also - make sure to go to your doctors support group - do not just rely on this board for support - while its great it has folks from all the differant practices  and everyone had  differant beliefs and you need to learn how to use your surgeons tool he gives to you !!  Good Luck on a quick surgery date  and keep us up to date on your progress ...

poohspal
on 7/13/07 2:01 pm - AZ
i am glad you found a Doctor you like but do they have an aftercare program?  that really is a must.  This site, like the other poster said is great but you need the support from your surgeon and his plan.   Stay focused on the prize!  congrats!!
296/282/265/180
start/pre/now/goal
Jeanne G.
on 7/14/07 3:37 pm - Peoria, AZ
I am with you on the "program fee". I looked around a bit before deciding on Dr Juarez at Bridges (Fangs partner). I was appalled that several of these places wanted upwards of $1000 "upfront". I knew Bridges did not charge a fee for support as my sister had RNY 2+ years ago. They have great preop classes, pre and post op support groups and even had a gradute seminar lst month for people 6 months+ out. I attend that with my sister as I am preop (9/4 surgery). My insurance, Secure Horizon paid for the psych eval(less my copay) but not for the MMPI ($175.) That was the insurance company not the Dr and I could go to whoever was on my plan psychologist.
vickinicole
on 1/16/08 3:04 pm - Bryan, TX
i know this is a old thread, but i too am really being hit by surprise by the fees charged even though I have insurance I wish I was presented at the seminar with a list of all the "possible" out of pocket fees I would have to pay I am a college student with no possible help from anyone, my family doesnt even support my decision to get the surgery let alone would help me with it the $325 for initial consult i****ting my pocket hard, I really want this surgeon though because of her excellent repuation it's just difficult cause I dont have disposable income or savings

~_~
Vicki
My weight loss blog: www.vickionline.com

Most Active