Has anyone had Dr Fang for their surgeon?

cdickhausen
on 7/10/07 12:12 pm - Tempe, AZ
Hello Everyone! I just moved here a year ago and I am planning to have surgery around November 1st.....That is the plan as of right now. I am still in the process of going through all the exams and stuff.  I was going to be seeing Dr. Juarez but at the last minute he couldn't be at the seminar and Dr. Fang stepped in so I am seeing him. Being new to the area, I was just wanting to see if anyone has any insight on him. He seems to really know his stuff and is very professional but I would greatly appreciate any input that you may have.  I am new to this website as well and am impressed at how everyone is so willing to help and just talk if you need to... Thanks for everything. :-) Thanks so much....
JRinAZ
on 7/10/07 12:27 pm - Layton, UT
Welcome to AZ! My hubby had Dr. Fang and has done great!!!  .........I had a different surgeon and have done well also.  .......... As one of Dr. Blackstone's patients pointed out on an earlier post.....There are MANY great surgeon's in our area.  We are sooooo very lucky!  All of us think our surgeon is the best cuz they were instrumental in improving our quality of lives....and for some; literally saving their life. I'd recommend going to the profiles of the various Bariatric surgeon's and reading all of their reviews.  If they don't have many positive ones then consider scratching them off your list???  .... Our opinions may be "weighted"!  he he he :) Good luck!  ..... My top five recommendations:  1.  Dr. Schlesinger  2.  Dr. Fang  3.  Dr. Simpson  4.  Dr. Juarez  5.  Dr. Blackstone (not necessarily in that order). LOSER'S ROCK!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

cdickhausen
on 7/10/07 12:52 pm - Tempe, AZ

Thanks so much! It is good to get some advise. I will check out the doctors profiles.  I do feel very lucky to live in a place where there are so many options for us.  If you don't mind, I would love to ask you a question and don't feel obligated to answer.... I am very excited, anxious, ready, busy preparing and all the emotions that go along with this decision.  What would you say was your biggest challenge after surgery and preparing for surgery....How did your relationships change?  I am just so excited and ready for this and I have actually learned a lot about the people who I surround myself with and who is supportive and who is just not going to be there. Any tips? LOL

I don't mean to hit you up with all of these questions but I am going through a lot of emotions right now, as I am sure you can understand....lol Thanks again for the info on the doctors. I appreciate it a lot! :-)

JRinAZ
on 7/10/07 2:20 pm - Layton, UT
I'm almost 5 years post-op but I've seen oodles of WLS buds go through the pre-surgery jitters.  ..... I went through the typical guilt over needing the surgery mixed with the excitement of having it!  ....I  answered all my anxieties by saturating myself in research.  I went to support groups long before I had my surgery and have stayed consistent with them since my surgery!  Education empowers us and keeps us healthy!!!!  Peer support gives us the shoulder to cry on and the high fives we all deserve! My relationships have evolved.  I did a natural gravitation towards those who supported me and have ditched those in life who have been toxic in some form or another.  Fortunately, my hubby had WLS a few months after me and so we share the lifestyle change and have enjoyed the "fruits" together.  But, honestly, that had it's own set of challenges.  Men just naturally lose faster and typically maintain easier.  .....I had some depression when my goal didn't come as easily  ..  I did lose a very close friend who was my "bagel and diet coke" buddy.  It seems we didn't have much else in common once I became obsessed with the gym!!!  ....My most challenging physical roadblock was giving up my diet coke!!!! You have GREAT questions!  I'll bet others on this site have some great answers.........Yoooooo Hoooooo!  Everyone????
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

MARY OTU
on 7/11/07 9:56 am - PHOENIX, AZ

I had Blackstone. My husband went with Fang. He did not want to have to wait so long for Blackstone. Her schedule is all the way out to April now.

Fang is excellent as is Juarez. i am not as impressed with the after care and program as I was with Blackstone's but i would not hesitate to reccommend these surgeons. Both are very experienced. Good luck, Mary

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 7/11/07 11:22 am - Tucson, AZ
By the "after care" do you mean after 1 year post-op????  Just curious since I am a Dr. Juarez patient.  So far I have seen him every three months and have had my questions answered.  I don't attend a group anymore but I read OH and TUSWLS everyday.  I wish I lived closer to Chandler to attend their group.  I am going to try and get to David's group here in Tucson and check it out.
Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

cdickhausen
on 7/13/07 8:10 am - Tempe, AZ
Thanks so much for the link! I am really getting a lot of info! :-)
Eggface
on 7/11/07 12:26 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Here's a link to Dr. Fang's OH page (with OH member/patient reviews):

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/bariatric+surgeon+t estimonials+Daniel+Fang+lnk.html Hope it helps with your research, ~Michelle OH Member Services

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

justcuz
on 7/12/07 3:38 pm - Maricopa, AZ
When I did my seminar, Dr Fang was the speaker as well. I found him very open to questions and willing to answer any item. He has been very kind during my visits, including when he had to give me the bad news after my ultra sound that they had found something. His office staff, is nice as well.

------------
                     laughter is the key to life     

justcuz
on 7/13/07 5:28 pm - Maricopa, AZ
When I first hooked up with OH, I was disappointed that there were very few people on here that either had their surgery with Dr Fang or were going to be having their surgery with him. It is nice to see that the Dr Fang patients have found OH now too!   

------------
                     laughter is the key to life     

Most Active