175 lbs Lost by WLS Celeb

jenncarson
on 7/4/07 7:59 am - AZ
I am mid way through the book, "Fighting Weight: How I acheived Healthy Weight Loss with Banding". The book is by Khaliah Ali, plus-size fashion designer and daughter of Muhammed Ali.  The book is awesome. Khaliah went from 325 pounds to 150 pounds after the Lap Band. As I read about her life-long struggle with obesity, I feel like I'm reading my own story. I especially relate to her childhood struggle with weight and pressure to lose weight from adults. I'm at the part where she decides to be "banded". The whole book is really really inspirational.  Those of you who know my story, I have shared my unusual life story in the press to help others impacted by homicide. I know how hard it is to share your personal story--even to help others. Kudos to Khaliah!! For those of you who have read the book, what part did you relate to the most? Let's discuss. It will be our first OH book club online. -Jenn C in AZ p.s. Khaliah talks about how she spent hours on OH and how it helped her! p.s.s. Those intersted in my story, there is a video link of a tv interview at the bottom of my page.
arroyo
on 7/4/07 9:22 am - Phoenix, AZ
I too have been reading the book. I haven't stayed completely in order but I did relate to the part about the adults trying to help her lose the weight. I think that it can be so well intentioned but yet so damaging. I also like reading (later in the book) about having to cope in other ways when food can no longer serve as that coping mechanism. I also checked out your story. That was very brave of you to share your story, thanks for posting it, it is inpiring! Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Before pre-op diet: 286.5/ Day before surgery: 275.5/Current: 171

Desertflower
on 7/4/07 1:33 pm - Mesa, AZ
Sounds like a book i will have to pick up...thanks for giving us all a heads up about it. Robin
Most Active