3 weeks until surgery/lap band, questions

dikitty
on 6/24/07 3:22 pm
Hi, I am new and I am less than 3 weeks til surgery.  I am both nervous and excited.  I was wondering how you all did on your "pre-op" stuff, like practicing the eating patterns (one bite/one chew, one sip/one swallow) taking 30 mins to eat, the not drinking with meal or 30 mins after.  Also, writing your feelings about eating and the other psychology pre-op things. I only had a month from meeting with surgeon to the actual date of my surgery. I am practicing, but I am nervous about getting it right in such a short period! Also, how did you feel about how well you would be able to  handle the "emotional eating" after the surgery?   I think I need a pep talk........
Candi Y.
on 6/25/07 2:55 am - Cottonwood, AZ
You will have NO REGRETS, if you would like go to my profile and read my story cause I have done a complete and intense review of being BANDED!!!  I really didn't do to much practicing before surgery, I was VERY worried about the not drinking and honestly that really hasn't been to bad, I do chew gum though right after eating just to simply help clean up my mouth, the slower drinking I am still working on, with the heat that not easy to do and the little bites I have almost got down pat since my 3rd fill mishap, now really really take small bites and chew, its the kind of person I am though,  I needed a pretty sever wake up call to get my act together!  I forever stay in touch with people on OH and my Doc's message board, which helps keep me motivated and otherwise its a learning process along the way!! Dont be nervous, you'll be GREAT and just think you'll be loosing weight, I am down over 50lbs in 31/2 mths, thats to HARD WORK and MY BAND!!!  Emotional eating is your toughest battle and I think we'll deal with that FOREVER  :(        Good Luck & Keep us posted!
dikitty
on 6/25/07 5:44 am

Candi, Thanks for the reply.  I did go to you profile and read your story.  Wow! that really helped me to relax some.  Now I feel more excited than nervous. I will keep posting.  Thanks, Diane (dikitty).

BensWife
on 6/25/07 3:42 am - Phoenix, AZ

Hello, sorry, I don't have any helpful tips for you. I am a lapband hopeful myself. I am hoping to have my surgery with Dr. Juarez also. If you don't mind I'd love to follow your progress and hear all of your surgery details since every surgeon is different. Good luck, Dr. Juarez seems like he's a great doctor and I'm pretty sure you'll be in good hands!  ~ Nikki

dikitty
on 6/25/07 5:48 am

Nikki, thanks for your reply.  I would love to have you follow my progress.  I will post as often as I can.  Dr Juarez does seem like a good doctor, I felt very comfortable with him. I spent the time in the waiting area (waiting for my consult) speaking with people who were also waiting, some just had a surgery some waiting, everybody had good things to say! so that was encourging. Did you have your consult yet?

dikitty
on 7/1/07 6:47 am
Nikki, Just wondering if you got your date for your surgery yet? I went yesterday and had all my "pre-op" testing at St. Lukes.  That was an adventure... I am only 11 days out on my surgery now......getting a little more nervous/excited now! Also, Kelly at Bridges told me yesterday that they (or Dr. Juarez's office) is going to be starting a lapband support group in July or August.  The support they have now is for all the surgeries together, so it will be nice to  just meet with the lapband people. Diane
poohspal
on 6/25/07 5:04 am - AZ
Hello Kitty, Welcome to the board and OH.  This is the place to be for sure!!  If you need a question answered pretty fast you might want to hit the LB board its huge with a lot of great people.  I love the Az one though because I like knowing we are all right here and so close.  Wendall, on the big board post something called 101 Lap Band. It answers a ton of questions for newbies. You can get it on his profile as well. I suggest you pop up alot of peoples profiles, especially if you like what they say. You get some really good insight that way. Try checking out a support group near you. To meet with people in person is really the best choice.  We are here for you Kitty,  You have made the right choice to have the surgery.  This is going to change your life and it will never be the same,  Amen to that!!
296/282/265/180
start/pre/now/goal
dikitty
on 6/25/07 5:52 am
Poohspal, Thanks for your reply.  How do you get to the LB board? I will be going to the support group that Bridges center has (where I am having my surgery).  I had to wait until my classes were done (now they are) to go to support.   thanks for the encourgement, I need it. I will post as often as I can. Diane (dikitty)
poohspal
on 6/26/07 12:27 am - AZ

hey Kitty  f you haven't found the Lap Band forum yet just open up forums on the tool abr at the top of the page and pull down Lap Band.  Its great!  here is a link to Wendell that I was telling you about.  Its not gospel but it helps alot! http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/a,messageboard/act ion,replies/board_id,5359/cat_id,4959/topic_id,3329593/

296/282/265/180
start/pre/now/goal
(deactivated member)
on 6/25/07 7:09 am - AZ
Welcome, I also am prettty new here as well, I am expecting to get the lapband in august the 6th. I am very nervous myslf but I have to tell you I think you made a wise choice and you do get some much help here in this site. I love it and am meeting amazing people who can help me along the way. We need all the support we can it is nice to know they either are here or have been where we are. It makes me feel good that they know how we feel. You will do just fine and everything will go smoothly. I can't help you with answering questions cause I am not there yet but I am hppy to be able to chat with you thru this wonderful journey. good luck and hope to hear back from you! Kelly
Most Active