Im home with some questions.

usafwifeandmommy
on 6/22/07 3:10 pm - tucson, AZ
uggg I am not feeling to hot, which is expected after surgury I know, I have had many including c sections and a breast reduciton, but this is out of my element. I feel full constantly. I am not sure if my tummy aches are the empty or full feelings, and I got diareah from strained clam chowder. I feel like I dont even know myself anymore. Just having a rough day! How long do you feel like you have a side ache? or that you are so full you can barely move. I feel like when I sip my water I can feel it hit my stomach., I am just so uncomfortbale. I know this is all expected I was just hoping for some insite or maybe some advice on how to feel better:)
dfavre
on 6/22/07 3:20 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Wow, didn't you JUST have surgery?  I'm surprised that you can have clam chowder so early.  We had to stay on clear liquids for the first week.  This allowed our tummy to heal before we started putting it to work.  My side hurt for about a month and yep, had diareah for a while as well.  Maybe you could sip on some warm tea, that may help you feel better.  Hang in there girly, it gets better - I PROMISE!  Get some rest too, k? Dawn
usafwifeandmommy
on 6/22/07 3:25 pm - tucson, AZ
yah i just had surgury but I thought that you could have strained soups. The clam chowder was not chowedery but it was runny so i thought if i strained it it would work appartnly not. Thank you for your fast response.
JRinAZ
on 6/22/07 4:31 pm - Layton, UT
Congrats on your surgery!  ....A tummy ache with clam chowder is not surprising.  A good majority of the post bypass patients have lactose intolerance for a while.  Some of us continue with it forever (me).  Try staying away from the cream of crappy stuff  and see if your tummy feels better.  Clear soup broth is easy on the tum and then when you want a richer flavor, just whirl the soup in the blender with the veggies and all and then strain it. Hang in there!  Each day gets better!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 6/24/07 1:01 am - Tucson, AZ

All your feelings sound normal to me.  I remember feeling so full that I had to force myself to drink my protein and water.  I just followed the schedule that the NUT gave me at St Lukes/Bridges and that way I didn't forget to eat/drink.

The pain and fatigue feelings will eventually go away after two or three weeks.  I found that when I felt really tired if I had some protein it picked me right up again.  Right now the important things are to drink, walk, take your vitamins, and rest.

Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

usafwifeandmommy
on 6/24/07 5:38 am - tucson, AZ
Do you happen to have that schedule handy still? I have no idea when to eat or drink protien or try to ge****er in, maybe a schedule would help me, cause I want to eat nothing!
Celeste B.
on 6/24/07 8:39 am - SAN TAN VALLEY, AZ
Ditto on that schedule request
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 6/24/07 1:25 pm - Tucson, AZ
I do still have it.....email me at [email protected] and I will send it to you.
Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

kkortsen
on 6/25/07 12:51 am - AZ

I felt the same way.  Hopefully the good Doc gave you a script for a big bottle of liquid vicodin?!  He did with me, and did I need it the first two weeks.  Ditch the soup for a week.  I sipped on luquid protein, water, warm beef broth, and SF popsicles.  I did not feel human until two weeks out.   Good luck, Kent 357/263/189

MARY OTU
on 6/25/07 1:50 am - PHOENIX, AZ
What is your name? I feel weird responding to you without knowing. Anyway, I felt the same as you when I came home. Just getting in the water was enough of a challenge to me. Here is what I suggest as was mentioned in the other responses: Drink warm broth, jello and hot tea the first week. Focus on getting all of your water in.Try to eat a little something 1/4 cup of jello or broth 3 times a day. This gets you into the habit of not constantly grazing. Follow the instructions given to you by your NUT. It probably changes in a week to a fuller,smooth-strained diet. However, as Joyce pointed out, I would stay away from milk for at least 4 months.  It actually has a lot of sugar in it which can make you dump. Stay on the board, read lots and good luck! Mary  
Most Active