Insurance and Financing... disappointed

Jenny0612
on 6/15/07 7:49 am
Hello everyone, I thought maybe I could get some advice.  I've just recently contacted my insurance company ( Humana) and have found out that I have an exclusion on my policy that does not pay for obesity/morbid obesity.  To say the least I'm extremly disappionted.  I'm guessing my only other option is find better insurance or just finance it. I've been reading about the expense of surgery and that it could cost anywhere up to $40,000 for surgery and after care.  I wanted to ask, is this a fair estimate?  I know everyone is going to be different.   I'm just so disappointed, and at a loss for what to do next. Thank you Jenny
M. clarke
on 6/15/07 8:23 am
Jenny, Are you planning the RNY? From the price sounds like you are. I think it is cheaper if you are paying out of pocket. I had to pay out of pocket and it was around 24,000 if i remember right. Call around to the doctors and ask for estimates. I went through SBC and i think they estimated me around $26,000 but it ended up being less then they estimated as I didn't need the liver biopsy or some of the other stuff. Also my insurance did cover some of the pretesting such as the blood work, chest xray, pap, and prescriptions. Anything that can be done as a routine testing should be covered by your insurance; however if your doctor writes it up as for the surgery or for weight then your insurance probably wont cover it. I don't know if the cost has went up. I can't imagine it has went up that much in just 7 months. They should give you estimates if you call around though. Just let them know you are a self pay. I know Shea hospital had a package price for self pay patients. That is all included in the estimate from SBC. Good luck to you. I know it is a lot out of pocket but it was one of the best investments I've ever made!
Jenny0612
on 6/15/07 9:09 am
Is lapband any cheaper do you know?
M. clarke
on 6/15/07 11:01 am
Jenny, I was an RNY so I didn't research cost on lapband; however from what I understand it is a much cheaper surgery.
Jenny0612
on 6/15/07 11:21 am
thank you for all your help! I really appreciate it.  I've been looking at financing all day today, trying to figure it out.  Now it's just a matter of affording that monthly payment!! :) Thank you
ginau
on 6/15/07 4:40 pm - mesa, AZ

Jenny

You have lots of options - Check out  Joyce's post  - there is a doctor *****located back in Phx under his own new practice and he has a great price offer out there. I  think you can get a cash/ self pay for under $15,000 , Rny is  also avail cash pay and will run you around $26,000   By any chance are you a home owner ?  You could possible do  a Home equity loan to finance it and get a tax write off at the years end , Let me know if  this might be an option for you  - That's what I do for work !  You can also take a look at taking a loan from Life insurance if you have it or tapping into a 401k  - You have lots of options  - you just have to figure them out ,     Also  with the year about half over and long wait times for some surgeons - you might be able to hold out and change insurance companies the first of the year .  Both surgeries are good and its really a decission between you and your surgeon as to witch one is going to best fit for you and your body !  Dont give up hope yet . Just keep researching , One owrd of caution  - Dont look to go to Mexico - that option has it own problems . Good Luck and let us know if we can help you.

M. clarke
on 6/15/07 8:26 am
p.s. if you read down the posts one of the doctors was having a special on the lapband also. I read that post a few days ago. I don't remember off hand which one it was. Of course i always have to give a shout out to Dr. Blackstone! love her and her program.
Candi Y.
on 6/15/07 1:36 pm - Cottonwood, AZ
hey jenny,  Just thougt  I would write cause I am a SELF-PAY (Big Loan) Lapbander, I did not do the lapband for the cheaper cost only, so PLEASE do your research on it, dont ever do something for the price.  I chose Lapband cause I need this tool to help me for the rest of my life, I have battle weight all my life and will now forver have this tool to help me keep it off FOR GOOD!!  I used DOc Simpson, one of the best outta of pocket cost total for a full year $16,000.  I paid more for the vehicle I am driving, but I do have a nice big loan and dont regret a payment yet!!!  There is another Lapband Doc just back in town doing it for $13,000.  there is  post about him!  Good luck and NEVER put a price on LIVING LIFE TO ITS FULLEST!!!  Keep us posted!
Most Active