Feeling alone and stuck at home

kita9375
on 6/13/07 11:15 am - Tolleson, AZ
i am so disgusted with myself and with the lack of help Im receiving here in Arizona.  I hate myself royally that I allowed me to get to this point.  Im 31, 5'7 and last know weight is 610.  I didmeet with Dr. Juarez for bariatric surgery and was given a list of requirements from Medicare to qualify.  I went by stretcher.  I have been given all kinds of referral.  I even have referral for aqautic therapy which I'm excited about.  I feel if i can get in some water my life will change alot being able to move about.  I have been homebound for over 3 years and spend 95% of the time in the bed because  I can barely move anywhere else.  The only way I can get to any appointments is by stretcher and majority of these offices are not equipped to handle that nor my size.  I can't get any information from anyone.  I can transfer myself; I just need tranportation.  Someone too drive me and someone to push me in my wheelchair.  This is ridiculous.  I'm really not feeling comfortable having the surgery by him; 1. He doesn't seem to have a deep concern in helping me overcome the obstacles.  2.  He says I need to be under 600 to have the surgery ; which isn't a big difference ( i can pee that out with the right fuild pills).  I'm just scared that if I have complications after the fact that i will run into the same transporting complications for follow up.   Does anyone have any information on transporting super obese patients.  I really don't know what questions to ask.  I am just getitng more and more sick mentally trying to get this done. 
lemarie22
on 6/13/07 12:47 pm - Glendale, AZ

Kita, I'm not sure that I have any answers, but I can recommend Dr. Blackstone if you're not comfortable with Dr. Juarez.  I do know that many people have been happy with Juarez though.  Will Medicare pay for any aids to help wit transports?

Best of luck to you! Connie

ginau
on 6/13/07 2:23 pm - mesa, AZ
Kita  Sorry your having a hard time, I too thought Juarez had the personailty of a frog when I met him. He is a very good and talented surgeon, Hang in there and  dont allow yourself to get down , Keep calling  around - try the transport companies, Who is your insurance?? call and ask them  for information.
JRinAZ
on 6/13/07 2:52 pm - Layton, UT
You have taken such a big step! .....I always GOOGLE the heck out of everything that I"m searching for???  Have you tried the net???  You may be limited in selecting a surgeon based on your insurance.  Medicare requires that you go to a Center of Excellence and not all of the surgeon's are hooked up with that certification.  And then, not all of them take Medicare.  They are difficult to work with because they do not pre-authorize the surgery.  That means that the surgeon's take a risk of not getting paid if they accept Mediare patients. You would most likely need to go on a liquid protein diet for a while to increase your odds for a safe surgery.  The first weight that people lose is generally off of their vital organs; especially the fatty liver.  You can do it!  .......This support site is great at cheering one another on to success!  ......Just chatter away here and let us help you on your journey! Don't give up!  You are a valuable person who has a lot of life ahead of you!  You can have a much better quality of life as you proceed through the weight loss surgery journey! Keep us posted!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Nicole W.
on 6/13/07 5:07 pm - Cave Creek, AZ

Hi Kit! I would also suggest Dr. Blackstone... she has one of the best personalities of any doctor I have met.  She is also very experienced with patients with high BMI's.  Get in touch with her office... you can try at www.scottsdalebariatric.com  Don't give up... you have made the first step towards the journey.  Can you use "SafeRide" or a program like that for transportation?  I am not sure what is covered under insurance, but I know my grandmother used that when her alzhmier's first set in.

Good Luck to you... you will find lots of support on this site!

~Nicole

TinkerBell

M. clarke
on 6/15/07 8:34 am
Nicole I love your new pictures!
jenniebr
on 6/14/07 6:57 am - queen creek, AZ

Your support is all around.  You really came to the right place for it! I called Dial-a-ride. You are eligible for transportaion services.  I told them your weight and was told that was not a problem.  Due to your medicare status you qualify, you will need to show your medicare card to get services.  Since you live in Tolleson you will need to call 602-253-4000.   I think you should stick with it.  Dr Juarez is not the nicest person (yes I had a consult with him), however he is one of the best qualified surgeons to do this type of surgery on you.  St. Lukes is a Center of Excellence so having medicare is not an issue there.  While I used another surgeon, I always felt he was well qualified surgeon. ( I had a lapband and wanted a doc that specialized in that) Let us know what hoops you need to jump through so that we can help you get it done.   I am sure there are plenty of us out here that can get your ball rolling.   Please feel free to call me or email. Since my surgery and newfound healthy life, I have a new mission in life to help all those in need get what they need!!!  My email is [email protected] and my number is 480-677-4348  Take care and try to keep your spirits high!  You have already done most of the hard stuff-asking and seeking help!!!!  You can do this, We can all help!!!! Jen

Most Active