Explaining the weight loss....

JRinAZ
on 6/10/07 2:28 am - Layton, UT
I'm 4 1/2 years post-op.  Pretty much everyone in my circle has seen me, gotten over the shock of my weight loss and has moved on to actually discussing something other than "how much I've lost" with me when we see one another. So, yesterday, I was gathering my groceries at Fry's and ran into a friend visiting relatives here that I haven't seen in several years.  She went through the entire "Oh my Gosh!" routine that I had grown accustomed to but haven't heard in a very long time!!!!  My answers: How did you do it?  A= Exercise, high protein and low calorie diet. That may seem like a cop out to some who want to tell their entire testimonial right in the grocery store line BUT for me, it was completely honest and saved me oodles of conversation time that might have been spent explaining a complicated surgery!  ..........Now, had she been overweight herself, I may have launched into the "Gastric Bypass story" in hopes  of  planting a seed that may save her! Sooooo......what do you tell casuals when they ask?  
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

David S.
on 6/10/07 3:40 am

Joyce, I struggle with that same thing.  Part of my struggle is that I know that when people make comments like that, they are really looking for a quick one-liner, rather than a life history! 

I decided early on that I would be up-front with people I work with, as answering longer questions early would help them better understand what I'm doing, and how my life has changed.  As for brief encounters with people I really don't know that intimately, I think I'm going to start telling people, "I've made some life changes that include a better diet and more exercise."  I will only divulge more information if I have a more personal connection with the person, otherwise it's really none of their business. Jodell and I are still very much in the "shock" stage when we see people who know us.  Combined we've lost a total of 145 pounds since our highest weights.  I am told by some people that they really didn't recognize me, and thought I was someone else (usually somewhat jokingly).

Dave from AZ     
Nicole W.
on 6/10/07 9:27 am - Cave Creek, AZ
I tell people straight out... I had Gastric Bypass surgery!  They ask how I am feeling and I say "GREAT!"  and they are just amazed and comment, well you look great.  So far I have not gotten the comments of the easy way out.  If they were, the New Yorker in me would come out in a heartbeat and give a mouthfull. I am very proud of the decision I made for myself and have absolutely NO REGRETS!  My only tiny regret is I wish I did it earilier because I saw the people at my job that were constantly sick and that scared me.  But this was the best thing I did for myself.

TinkerBell

johnb_az
on 6/10/07 9:51 am, edited 6/10/07 9:53 am - Phoenix, AZ
Friends and relatives get the whole story.  Casual acquaintances or strangers get diet and exercise.  I am  proud of what I have done and the changes I have gone through.  It just takes too much time to go through the whole reasoning, etc to someone just asking to be polite.
nicoleaz
on 6/10/07 4:13 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Overweight, slim, whatever...I'm with Nicole - I tell people up front that I had gastric bypass surgery. I figure if they're bold enough to ask I may as well satisfy their curiosity with the real story. Sure, it's a personal endeavor and what you divulge is your own prerogative. Very few ask me about the details of the surgery and those that do usually do so in a time-appropriate manner ("we'll have to get together sometime so you can tell me about it" etc.).
Desertflower
on 6/10/07 4:26 pm - Mesa, AZ
Thanks for the post, Joyce.  I have been struggling with this issue for a while...as my own surgery grows closer.  I will share my "story" with my close circle of loved ones, and leave out the details with casual aquaintances. Your answer was perfect! Take care, Robin
vquigley
on 6/12/07 2:09 pm - Phoenix, AZ

When people comment about the weight I've lost, I tell them that I had gastric bypass.  And usually the next question they ask is how do you feel and my response is always great.  I feel better than I have in years and years and have more energy.  This decision was one of the best things I have ever done for myself.  

lemarie22
on 6/13/07 7:30 am - Glendale, AZ
Joyce, I'm an old-timer like you.  In the beginning, I told the WHOLE story to everyone who crossed my path.   Now, I'm actually surprised when I see casuals and they make a fuss.  It takes me a while to figure out what they're talking about.  OK, I'm not so bright.  If I think they are interested (an old diet buddy or something), I just say that I had gastric bypass and only elaborate if they ask questions.   Everyone else gets "Hard work" when they ask how I lost the weight.   This is an interesting question because I've wanted to present a good example of the changes that wls brings about.  I never hid it from anyone because I wasn't ashamed of having the surgery and I sincerely feel that telling people saves lives.  I wonder why I'm less passionate about spreading the word. Connie
kmayfield
on 6/26/07 5:28 am - Tucson, AZ

I only told people that were really close to me what I was doing when I had the surgery. Now if someone asks I do tell them but I also include that is was in no way an easy road for me to take. I think some people have the idea it’s the fast and easy way out. It was not for me I had over a year of being sick every time I ate and now I have headaches almost daily. I also say that a lot of people have better luck then me and sail right through it with no problems. I also mention how I eat now and exercise and how much fun it is to buy new clothes in a size 8.

Kim
11/2004
268/153
Most Active