Cost of bariatric surgery & best employers

teacherspet
on 6/9/07 1:20 pm - Tucson, AZ
Hello All,      I'm just beginning this process and would really appreciate all of your feedback.  I am unable to find the "cash" cost of gastric bypass.  I am also interested in learning what companies have the most "obesity friendly" insurance programs.  I have an appointment with Linda Schwartz schedule for the 22nd.  I heard that she is pro surgery when needed.  Thank you all in advance for any informtion you may have. Ticia  
mustangsally
on 6/9/07 4:09 pm - Tucson, AZ
The cash cost is different with every Dr. and what hospital they are contracted with. I used Dr. Chaisson at Northwest Hospital.  I had to pay the Dr., the hospital and the anesthesiologist all separately.  There is also the nutritionist, the psych eval, and the radiologist (x-ray and swallow test after surgery).  I would say the total I paid, all said and done, was about $23,000.00.  As far as insurance companies go, I think they make it up as they go along.  Every time I turned in my paperwork, some of the criteria changed so I would have to start over.  I was denied 3 times after a year and a half of trying to get everthing they wanted in the time line they set.   Good Luck
M. clarke
on 6/9/07 6:03 pm
Have you tried calling for an amount or packet? I don't remember exactly how much it was but I think they (SBC) told me around $26,000, but I do know it was less then they estimated. They include in case they have to biopsy the liver and all of that, which they didn't have to do for me. I think it ended up being around $24,000.00. My insurance covered some of my pretest as I went through my primary physician for them, and they also covered my prescriptions. I'm not sure if they estimate the prescriptions in there or not, but they can be pretty high if you don't have prescription coverage. The injections after surgery alone were like $1500.00, but not everyone has to do those. I had to do three or four weeks worth twice a day. Try calling SBC for a total. They may tell you to go to a seminar first. You learn a lot of information at the seminars. I know I knew the total before my first appointment as my first appointment was $800.00 out of pocket and that was included in the total they had given me, but I don't remember if they gave it to me before the seminar. Great luck to you! Several of the doctors have seminars. You should check them out.
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 6/10/07 1:31 am - Tucson, AZ

Ticia

Linda Schwartz is pro surgery because her husband is the GB surgeon at St. Joe's.  I had my surgery with Dr. Juarez in Phoenix and my surgery statement had a total of $42,000.  That was in Sep 06.  I know it has increased a couple of thousand since then.  That total includes anesthesia, etc.

Good luck to you and keep posting.

Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

JRinAZ
on 6/10/07 2:20 am - Layton, UT
Hi Ticia! Always remember that the "CASH price" will be much less than what other's have had on their billing receipts through insurance.  For instance, those programs with "program fees, or testing fees" usually roll the price of those into the total cash price.  I would just let my fingers do the walking  and phone the offices of the surgeon's you are interested in.  When you find a surgeon in your price range then hit their seminar to see if their program, and they are what you are after! Lidna Schwartz is in the "biz" and I've heard she's a very good Doc.  She usually feeds patients right over to her hubby's program though so just know that up front and be ready to just thank her for her kind letter of medical necessity without committing to her hubby (unless he's the surgeon for you). Good Luck!  It's a lifechanging decision!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

David S.
on 6/10/07 3:50 am

Hi fellow Tucsonian!

Since you're in my neck of the woods, I'll attempt to give you some personally useful information.  In Tucson, the Raytheon insurance plan is very friendly to gastric bypass/lap band.  My wife and I were both approved in a couple weeks under their UHC plan, and my surgery was less than 2 months from my first visit to the doctor.  They didn't require an additional 6 month exercise/diet plan.  Dr. Monte Schwartz is my surgeon, and he was great.  We both had RNY's and he's done alot of those and the lap band. In total, I think we paid a combined total of about $250.00 ea*****o-pays (all doctor's visits).  As for cash pay, I don't have alot of info on this, as we were insurance paid. I wish you all the best as you continue your research.  You are also welcome to come to some of the St. Joseph's support group meetings.  Alot of people will come out pre-surgery, as it is a good forum for questions and just learning more information. --Dave

Dave from AZ     
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 6/10/07 4:00 am - Tucson, AZ

Dave

Does St. Joe's mind if patients from other surgeons attend the support group???  When are they held?

Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

David S.
on 6/10/07 4:39 am
Dr. Monte Schwartz's website has a copy of the support group schedules.  There is a schedule for Saturday meetings, as well as Tuesday nights.  I've hit the Saturday group a couple times.  Unfortunately, I've had schedule conflicts which have kept me from going more frequently.   They don't seem to mind if people come who didn't have the surgery there.  I don't even know if they take a role call.  I came a few minutes late the last couple times, and didn't sign in or anything.  I think the key to most support groups is the support, not who your doctor was. This is the link to Dr. Schwartz's website, which has downloadable schedules that are regularly updated. http://www.foothillssurgery.com/patient-resources.php --Dave
Dave from AZ     
dmwilson
on 6/11/07 6:55 am - tucson, AZ

Hi Tricia, I also had RNY done in 05 through UHC with Raytheon ,I had my surgery with Dr. Burpee at NorthWest Hospital he was awsome. I was approved wihin 7 days of submitting paperwork.                                                                                              Good Luck Diane

Dr. Burpee 11/16/05 (down 130 pds.)

teacherspet
on 6/14/07 4:13 pm - Tucson, AZ
Diane,      Thank you so much for your reply.  My insurance has a written exclusion for bariatric surgery.  Did yours have an exclusion?  I am hoping that I will be able to appeal and win.  Does Dr Burpee do the surgery laproscopically? Ticia  
Most Active