Basal calories burned/ lifestyle

David S.
on 5/25/07 11:02 am

Due to a few sprawled comments about fitday.com, I decided to go onto their site to see what their free service had to offer.  As with some literature I've read, it indicates that for me, my body should be burning about 2500 calories per day if I lay around all day, and an additional 1200 calories per day just by sitting around at work most of the day and walking around occasionally. 

With the activities I've added into my lifestyle, and the few calories I consume, simple math would say that I should be losing at least a pound a day, or about 6-7 pounds a week on average.   Does anyone else beside me suspect these basal calculations might be garbage for post WLS patients?   I'm not complaining about my weight loss to date, but rather just wondering what everyone else thinks about these basal calculations!  Is it a conspiracy built by skinny people? --Dave

Dave from AZ     
JRinAZ
on 5/25/07 1:24 pm - Layton, UT
LOL!  ....Dave, I think you could safely go by the old standard guidelines of  "under 2000" for men and you'll lose.  Under 1200 for women and you'll lose.  I checked those fitday calculations and found them to be pretty close to my guesstimate.  I always ere on the side of  the "couch potato" calculations though; even though I usually get to the gym farely consistently.  I find that  under 1000 caloreis a day and at least 30 minutes of cardio will break about any plateau  or weight gain in a hurry ......wether the skinny conspirators are at work or not!  :) I LOVE Fitday's breakdown of calories, proteins, carbs etc.  When I'm really serious about logging my food....I generally stay very focused and on track.  Soooooo.........I guess I'd better check back in there each day, huh??? Hugggzzz, Joyce
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

David S.
on 5/25/07 1:38 pm
Joyce, Thanks for your comments.  I am planning on ramping up my cardio, and I just started doing weight lifting again after a 10 year vacation.  Fortunately, I don't feel like I'm on any plateau right now.  It may be slightly more, which is why I've decided to start tracking things on Fitday.com.  So far I've enjoyed not tracking my calories, and still losing by just going by the rules.  I'm pretty sure that after tracking for a while, I'll just get used to what my personal limits are. --Dave
Dave from AZ     
Most Active