Mixed feelings about sleep study

beckipoohbear
on 5/25/07 6:49 am - AZ
So I had a sleep study last night and although there are no official results the tech told me I didn't stop breathing but that I inexplicably awoke repeatedly throughout the night for no apparent reason at all.  So while this means there is no official diagnosis yet I probably don't have sleep apnea, I just wake up for unexplained reasons and more times than I remember.  On one hand this is really good because sleep apnea is bad and I don't want to have it.  On the other hand this is kinda bad because I was hoping for a diagnosis of sleep apnea, one so I could get treatment and sleep better, and two so my approval for surgery would be more likely.  Oh well, I guess I just wait and see what happens.  Just slightly frustrated and relieved and wanted to vent.
David S.
on 5/25/07 9:48 am
Don't get too frustrated.  If you are here on this site, there is a good chance that getting WLS will help you sleep better.  I just had RNY 2 1/2 months ago, and I sleep alot better, and no longer need my c-pap machine to feel rested in the morning.  If I were you, I might have your doctor request another sleep test, in which they put a c-pap machine on you for the night, and then you can determine if you feel more rested in the morning.  When they did this for me, I was on the phone the next day trying to get a RX for a c-pap because it was a night and day difference in how I felt the next day.  Also, remember that they've now diagnosed that you awake repeatedly through the night (i.e. there's gotta be a reason.)  I'd guess this can't hurt you in getting approved, especially if you can see a difference with a c-pap.
Dave from AZ     
lemarie22
on 5/25/07 4:25 pm - Glendale, AZ
The same thing happened in my sleep study and the technician sent me home without completing the test.  When the Cardiopulmonologist got the results, he was livid.  I did have sleep apnea.  I had to back and do the whole thing over again.  I also woke quite a bit from leg movement.  I don't think you have to completely stop breathing for it to be sleep apnea, but then aain, I don't even play a doctor on TV. Connie
JRinAZ
on 5/26/07 2:00 am - Layton, UT
Connie! Do you know how delightful your posts are???  I seriously throw something in them to crack me up each and every time!!!!  Could you just send me a quick post every morning so I can start my day with a giggle????!!!!! Hugggzzz to you! Joyce
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

JRinAZ
on 5/26/07 2:02 am - Layton, UT
Ooooops! Typo!  That should have said "YOU seriously throw......"  .....Yup!  You're da bomb!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Desertflower
on 5/26/07 3:45 pm - Mesa, AZ
Hey there, Try not to be discouraged.  Tests can be grueling sometimes...and disappointing.  With all of your other health issues I think you will be OK to get your approval from your insurancance. Good Luck and God Bless Robin
M. clarke
on 5/26/07 8:13 pm
I understand your frustrations when there is something wrong and you want answers. Hopefully you can get approved without having to have something else wrong with you. I know a lot of people get approved with the sleep apnea, but you are right it isn't something you want. And it isn't always something that is cured by losing the weight. It isn't even cured 100% by the cpap machine. They set the cpap machine to a level which gives you the least amount of apneas per hour. And not all are caused by blockage, some are caused by the brain just telling the body to stop breathing, so lots of thin people have it too. I have it and so do two of my brothers. Luckily I never fell asleep while standing up, but my brother has, and fell down (of course I could laugh as he is my brother), but falling asleep while talking to people, and all that good stuff. Luckily none of us ever fell asleep while driving before we were tested, and luckily none of us has had a heart attack from it which is the major scare of it. The lack of oxygen more so then the lack of sleep. I know how frustrating it is to have a problem, but not a diagnosis that can be resolved. I went though a lot of that the past few years with my back problems. It is very frustrating. They do have a test now that you can take home with you that checks your oxygen levels right at home you might ask your doctor about if you just want to confirm that you don't have sleep apnea but don't want to do the sleep study again. My mom's doctor at the mayo clinic wanted to make sure she didn't have sleep apnea so he had her do that about 6 months ago or so. Just goes on your finger and reads your oxygen levels all night long into a little computer chip. It's bviously not as near as complex as those sleep studies, but if your oxygen they know they don't need to test that further.  I hope you find a resolution and are able to get some good rest soon! No sleep is never a good thing.
Most Active