Introduction and BCBS/AZ

BensWife
on 5/23/07 5:30 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Everyone, I've been lurking around these boards for a while now and thought I'd better get out here and say Hi! My name is Nikki. My journey is just beginning. I am seeking lap band surgery with Dr. Hilario Juarez. I currently have Trustmark - Arizona foundation insurance but July 1st it is changing to BCBS of AZ. Anyone have any luck with BCBS in regards to lap band or any surgery for that matter?? I'm fairly early on in my journey, but hope to be banded by the end of '07. So far I have been seen by my PCP (in my case my Ob-GYN). She is happy to write a letter for me in regards to medical neccessity. Does anyone know what all BCBS requires before they even consider authorization?? I have a surgery consultation with Dr. Juarez next month. I'm pretty excited, but I'd like to get as much information as I can together by that time.  A little about me..... I am 23, a newlywed. I live in North Phoenix. My husband and I are ready to start a family but due to my weight and PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) I am unable to conceive. I am hoping that the lap band will be the tool that I need to get in gear and get my weight in a healthy range for having a family.  Nice to meet you all and good luck on your journey!
Linda S.
on 5/23/07 1:49 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Hi, and welcome, glad you came out from lurking . I  suggest you check with your insurance specifically, they all vary. Once again welcome!

WHAT WE FEAR,WE CREATE.                                                                                                

David S.
on 5/24/07 9:52 am
Ditto on Linda's comment.  BCBS offers thousands of differing policies with various degrees of coverage.  I had a friend approved for RNY on BCBS.  My Mom is in the process of submitting to BCBS for lap band.  Her particular policy requires a 6 month supervised/documented exercise plan prior to approval.  Yours may be the same or different.  if you're decided on the doctor, they may be able to help you determine what is needed prior to approval, also my mom called BCBS and had them send her a list of their requirements to approve paying for surgery. --Dave
Dave from AZ     
dispatcheraz
on 5/24/07 11:35 am - Prescott, AZ
When you see Dr. Juaraz  you'll also see Colleen...she's the authorization queen. She will give you a list of exactly what you need in order to qualify. They've done this so much it's down to a science. Good luck!

~Keri  

Linda S.
on 5/24/07 1:39 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
No reflection on Colleen, but sometimes insurances change yearly, at contract time. Colleen thought she had correct info on my daughters insurance and it had changed and doctors office had not been notified, she was declined. She got info of requirements from horses mouth so to speak, and was approved after meeting their specifications.Her surgey is scheduled for 6/11. Happy dance!! I suggest horses mouth. I *love* Colleen, and had Dr. Fang,Dr, Juarez is great also, and actuslly trained Dr, Fang..smile.They took great care of me, and still are. Love, and respect, Linda

WHAT WE FEAR,WE CREATE.                                                                                                

usafwifeandmommy
on 5/26/07 3:03 pm - tucson, AZ
Hi Nikki, I am new here to and wanted to extend a hello! Good luck with your journey!
Most Active