Bad few weeks!!!

Mikkilynn
on 5/23/07 6:52 am - Mesa, AZ
Hello All - It's been a while since I've been able to post. I've had a terrible few weeks. My father was diagnosed with cancer, went into the hospital to prepare for surgery. While there, he got an infection from the feeding tube, then double pnenmonia and ended up in ICU. Then we were called in last Wednesday to find out that he had a major stroke about a week ago and no one knew!!! Due to this news, the doctor would no longer perform the cancer surgery and my dad was too weak for chemo/radiation. He was transfered to hospice last Friday and passed away Monday morning.  While this was all going on, I was also having complications from my surgery. I went in for an endoscopy and Dr Fang dialated my stoma. But the pain never went away. I finally went to the emergency room last Wednesday and the doctor there did absolutely nothing for me. He took my blood, said I was low on potassium, that this pain was normal and to go home. I was furious! He didn't do an upper GI, x-rays or any type of scans to find out why I was in extreme pain. I called Dr Fang again to tell him what happened and to let him know something needed to be done. He said that I probably had an ulcer and/or another stricture. He called me in some new medicine for uclers. It seems to be helping but food still gets stuck when I eat. So, I'm probably going back in for another endoscopy.  With all this going on I haven't been able to attend any support meetings. Does anyone know the date of the next Chander group meeting? Hopefully, I will be able to make it. Michelle
nicoleaz
on 5/23/07 7:19 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hey Michelle, I'm so sorry to hear about your father. I lost mine in '02 - it's just awful. Hopefully you can get in soon for another endoscopy. Are you fed up with ERs and hospitals and doctors and giving blood yet? After surgery I sure was. You've got the right idea though - get in to the next support meeting. It should help! I hope you feel better soon! Nicole
JRinAZ
on 5/23/07 7:25 am - Layton, UT
Michelle,
I am sooooo very sorry about the loss of your father.  I can imagine that  your body wasn't responding well to anything; and that additional pain was over the top! 

If you do have an ulcer (very very common for Rny post-ops) then try Prilosec OTC on an empty stomach in the a.m. and chew a pepcid compelte before bedtime.  Don't eat greasy or spicey in the evening and keep Maalox liquid on hand for "just in case" pain in the middle of the night.  I find that if I jog (yup, I said jog) after taking some Maalox that the pain goes away sooner!  Fruits and nuts can set it off big time for me.

The next Chandler meeting will be on the 2nd Weds of June.  The rotation is always the same i.e. 2nd Weds, 4th Tuesday from 6 to 7:30

Let me know if you need anything sweetie pie!  Drink lots of water and sip protein drinks while your body heals and while your heart heals!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Mikkilynn
on 5/23/07 7:43 am - Mesa, AZ
Thanks Joyce for all the wonderful suggestions! I will definitely try anything to get the pain to stop.  I forgot to mention that I seem to be lactose intolerate since the surgery. So, I haven't been able to get much protein in each day. I did order the profect type protein drink but couldn't drink it do to the pain and nausea. But I'm going to try again this evening. I also just bought some rice milk to see if I can tolerate it. Maybe between the two, I will finally get my protein in.  Hope to meet everyone at the next meeting. I'm marking it on my calendar right now!
JEAN-NA
on 5/23/07 8:54 am

Michelle   I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dad !  at least he is no longer in pain .      You might want to get some good old Isopure to help get your protein in - just drink it over lots of ice!   Is anything work on releaving the pain ?  Maybe try a warm towel   or some Hot tea .    I guess you could always go  to your primary care and get them to order a test - I know if I asked mine he would .  I'm not very  spiritual but will say a prayer  for the pain to go away ! who knows maybe it will work ?  Or  at least give someone a good laugh upstairs !    Hang in and hold on.  and get back to  groupd so we can see you ..

Desertflower
on 5/26/07 3:53 pm - Mesa, AZ
Hi Michelle, I am so sorry to hear about your Father.  I know how sad you must be feeling.  You have my prayers for you and your family. If you are lactose intolerant...try SOY MILK.  I LOVE the Slender Soy at Fry's. (chocolate)  It is really good and no sugar and LOTS of protein.  I use it to make a "shake" with ice and protein powder in my magic bullet every day and it tastes just like a frosty.  The protien powder I use also has extra calcium and vitamins etc.  You might like to have something soothing for you pouch and nutritios.  Let me know how you are doing. Robin
M. clarke
on 5/23/07 7:39 am
Michelle, Very sorry to hear of your father and your illness.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Melissa
Most Active