Pain in shoulders & stomach

chubbs
on 5/9/07 3:03 pm - NJ
I had laparoscopic lap band surgery on May 01, 2007, it is now May10 (9 days later). Everytime I take a deep breath it hurts in my both my shoulders. Also, every so often I get a stabbing pain in my stomach area and I feel as if I have to burp but nothing comes out, is this normal?
Ewa C.
on 5/9/07 4:56 pm - Chandler, AZ
Double check with your surgeon, but generally it is normal the first week or two after surgery. Sometimes the shoulder pain does continue afterwards. What I've been told by my doctor (just yesterday at a support group meeting) that what you need to do is lots of walking. This should alleviate the discomfort. Don't be surprised to be burping a lot, because the majority of this discomfort is cause by gas. Good luck. Ewa
nicoleaz
on 5/9/07 7:21 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Yipes! A stabbing pain in your stomach doesn't sound good :/ If this persists, please call your doc's office! The shoulder pain is common. The gas they blow your abdomen up with travels up towards the shoulder area post-op and causes discomfort for a few days. Do plenty of walking - it subsides, I promise! Good luck and keep us posted! Nicole
Most Active