AHHHHHHHHHHHHH My surgery is tomorrow!

asilroyan
on 5/9/07 1:04 pm
I never thought the day would come and now I'm kind of petrified. I'm not so worried about making it through the surgery, but I keep thinking about all the things I won't be able to eat. I want so much for this to work for me but I'm so compulsive. I know the pouch will help because I'll get sick and hopefully it will just take one episode to straighten me out. I think I'm really going to struggle with changing my attitudes so that I don't turn to food for everything. Thank god for therapy! Thanks for everyone's great info. I'll be back post-surgery. Heading to bed early because I have to be at the hospital at 6 AM and now I get to cleanse my bowels-yippee :-$
Ewa C.
on 5/9/07 4:57 pm - Chandler, AZ
Which kind of weight loss surgery are you having?
asilroyan
on 5/13/07 11:32 am
I had the Roux N Y. I got home from the hospital yesterday and I'm still struggling with how to get in all the "liquid" food and protein and water. The nutrionist said not to worry, just take it slow. I also can't figure how to track it. It seems like a whole lot of math to figure out how many calories and how much protein I'm consuming.
M. clarke
on 5/13/07 3:04 pm
Lisa. It will take a while. Every doctor is different, but my doctor didn't have us eating anything at all until our first post op class. I didn't have anything bu****er and vitamins, and a few bites of jello for 8 days following my surgery as my surgery was on a Monday and my class the tuesday of the next week. And I was fine so I wouldn't stress yourself over it. Just take your time. Your water at this point is the most important. You just got home yesterday! Don't be so hard on yourself or your little pouch. It will get easier.
Desertflower
on 5/9/07 5:05 pm - Mesa, AZ
Dear Lisa, I know how you must be feeling today. My surgery date is coming up too, and I and excited AND I am nervous too. My whole life I have spent being compulsive over food issues and I chose RNY because I was afraid that I might find a way to out-smart the Lap-Band and start eating sugar again. Yes, this will be a struggle for us, at first. We will have to learn to be strong...and to put OUR needs before everyone elses. There is a GREAT book I have read by Paula Peck, called Exodus from Obesity. She is an RN that had gastric bypass surgery herself. She gives so many ideas on how to overcome the mental hunger after surgery...and how to eat in restaurants and saying no to food in a way that is polite as well as direct. I got my copy on Amazon and read it over and over. I am saying a prayer for you tonight, that your surgery goes smoothly and you recover quickly without complications. Who is your surgeon? (Ask your anthesthesiologist to play soothing music while you are under...and also to talk to you and say things like "you are doing so well"...and "you are going to recover quickly and have more energy"...I have heard this is very positive. Good luck, Lisa and God bless you. Robin
M. clarke
on 5/9/07 7:27 pm
Robin & Lisa, Just want to give you a heads up. Yes there is a good chance that you won't be able to eat the sugar, but don't count on it too much. I only say that as it was a big reason for me choosing RNY over Lap Band. However now that I am six months out I can pretty much eat anything I want and don't get sick. The only thing that has made me sick so far was some apple pie, and birthday cake. And even then I was just really nauseas and didn't throw up. Other then that, chocolate, cookies, carmel corn, potato chips, none of that has made me sick. I was disappointed as I was counting on that extra help. I know in the long run it will be a positive thing that I can go out to eat and not have to worry to much, but still it would have been a really nice tool as I have terrible willpower and eat emotionally. The book you bought is a great idea. I still speak with a therapist and do things like meditation, and such to learn new ways to cope with stress and emotions other then eating. I know I ramble Point was..dont count too much on the getting sick and keep up the great positive work you are doing with the therapy, and mental work, and things like buying the book! It is a long haul, so far it has been well worth it!
M. clarke
on 5/9/07 7:39 pm
p,s when i say getting sick i mean dumping not throwing up.
kkortsen
on 5/10/07 12:13 am - AZ
Try this thinking? Look as food now as fuel for your body. Some fuel tastes better than others. This has helped me tremendously. Good luck and keep us posted. Kent 357/283/189
asilroyan
on 5/13/07 11:33 am
Thanks everyone for your support. I'm home now and trying to get things going.
Most Active