Stressed out and not eating!!

jenniebr
on 5/8/07 4:40 pm - queen creek, AZ
For the first time in my life I am not over eating, I am not eating very much and now am getting worried. My dad has been fighting cancer for a few years, first colon, then lymphoma (my brother died in 1991 of lymphoma) and then last year it was throat cancer. He had a complete laryngectomy Mar 10. The lymphoma came back and he is now on a ventilator and in septic shock ie:dying. This news came as I came home from my vet with a parvo virus diagnosis for my 2 bully pups! followed by my 2 year old re-infection with pneumonia. Then my 44 year old brother fainted while speaking with our dads doctor. My hubby accompanied him down to the ER to get some stitches and a tetnus booster. No this is not "Days of Our Lives" I know that things will be better another day but today was a day I wish I could skip entirely. The worst part for me is my mom is in Amsterdam and I am unable to reach her. I left a message at her hotel. I just really want my mom to make it all better!!! As I left Scottsdale hospital at 8pm it dawned on me about the time we hit the 101 at shea, I had not eaten a thing all day. We stopped for food and I just did not deel like eating. Now I am worried that I am going to make myself sick. What do I do? Do I make myself eat or just wait until I feel hungry? I am drinking and did get enough fiber in but almost no protein, maybe 10-15 grams. In all my 39 years I have never not felt like eating! Is this normal? I don't even have an interest in CHOCOLATE! I am not a big night eater so maybe I just missed my eating time today??? I am going to try to sleep and maybe try to eat in the morning. Thanks to all for your help, I always know that I can find support here if all else fails! Jen
M. clarke
on 5/8/07 5:32 pm
Jen, i am so sorry to hear all that you are going through. It is absolutely normal to not be hungry in the situation you are in. Even prior to surgery when i had periods of high stress when i would simple forget to eat. They were rare as eating is usually what i did when emotional, but they did happen. Right now you are in emotional shock and your body is simply trying to process what is happening and preserve its energy to heal your hurt not process your food. I'm sure in a few days you will feel like eating again. You and your family will be in my prayers.
JEAN-NA
on 5/8/07 11:55 pm
Jen I am so sorry to hear what your going through ! I am sure your body is in shock! While it might be normal for some one not to eat for one day you have to have some protein and vitamins to help your body - NO One can afford for you to be exhausted and in bed for a few days on end while your body heals - If nothing else please try and get down a good protein drink once ot twice a day !! Also talk to that wonderful doctor you work for .. I am sure he will give you some well needed advice - Stress is not a good way to loose weight !
kkortsen
on 5/9/07 12:43 am - AZ
Jen, Wow, that is a ton of stress. At least drink some liquid protein and of course water. Try some soft foods. You have to keep up your strength. If you go down, there goes the ship. Maybe, a little prayer? Good luck, Kent
JRinAZ
on 5/9/07 8:45 am - Layton, UT
Sweet Jen! I am soooo sorry about your Dad! I understand the torture of having a loved one out of country while major tragedy strikes. We contacted "Make A Wish" foundation finallly to get my hubby home asap from Denmark. American Red Cross will also pursue location of someone out of country. I could make a few phone calls and soon all of Queen Creek would be dropping meals off at your doorstep. Your lack of desire for food can be a 'bandster's" way of dealing with stress. Don't worry about counting proteins and calories right now. Just stick some peanut butter crackers and protein bars in your purse as you shuttle in and out of the hospital and nibble from time to time. Maybe set a timer? Though your body can go a long time without consistent nutrtion; your emotions are bound to zap your strength if you don't have some healthy food. Call me if you need help with anything at all. I"m off work on Friday. You and your family are in my prayers! Big Hugggggzzzz! Joyce
AvasGrammy
on 5/10/07 3:52 pm - Chandler, AZ
Hi Jen, I am so sorry to hear about your Father. Sounds like he has really been through alot of health issues. WE had a puppy die from the Parvo virus...it was so terrible...I hope your puppies are not as sick as ours was and that they will be Ok. I sure hope you have been able to get ahold of Your Mom by now...I feel the same way that you do in times of stress etc...I always want my Mom too...somehow just being with her makes me feel better. How is your Brother??? It was good that your hubby was there and could go with him to the ER. Wow...that was really a horrible day for you...and I dont blame you for not wanting to relive it! I wish I could say the same about not eating...I could when my band was right...but we are still trying to get me to the fill I need so the band really isnt helping me at all right now...so if I was you I would be hungry....It must be a good feeling though to have control over eating at such a high stress time....I think your body will tell you when it is hungry...but if not just try and eat alittle protein and veggies until you are feeling better.... I live so close...just let me know if you need me...lf course I would have to bring the 2 little ones with me...but if your Ok with that I can be there for you if you need me!!! Lots of Hugs to you..... LuAnne
Most Active