Liquid diet for Dr. Juarez?

dispatcheraz
on 5/2/07 10:38 am - Prescott, AZ
Hi, I forgot to ask at my consultation if a liquid diet would be required by Dr. Juarez prior to surgery. Does anyone know?
pwrightt
on 5/2/07 11:05 am - PHOENIX, AZ
HI Keri: Dr.Juarez does not require a liquid diet before surgery. Also he is a fantastic surgeon. You're in great hands. Pam
spunkycutechic
on 5/2/07 1:16 pm - GLENDALE, AZ
Hello again, I saw Dr Juarez on Monday he does not require the liquid diet. I really like him but didnt really get information from him unless I asked. The good news is that I saw the dietician at Banner Good Sam and was very impressed with the bariatric center they have there. I was so informed after that consultation. I would definately reccomend her and they services they offered. She gave me quite a few samples of everything to try. I finally have all the pieces to the puzzle.
asilroyan
on 5/4/07 2:30 pm
I know the nutritionist at Good Sam said that the pre-surgery diets (Juarez/Fang use a high protein, low carb, low fat diet) reduce the size of the liver making surgery easier. I'm confused though. Is it losing a few pounds that reduces the liver or is it the high protein or what? I'm not really understanding the purpose.
spunkycutechic
on 5/5/07 2:23 am - GLENDALE, AZ
Lisa, the way it was describe to me was that losing weight before surgery reduces the size of the liver. The high protein, low fat, and low carb diet help you lose weight. I work in the medical field and already knew this, so I wasnt surprised.
asilroyan
on 5/5/07 12:02 pm
Thanks Mitch. So does a person who is 400 pounds have a larger liver than someone who is 200 pounds?
spunkycutechic
on 5/7/07 12:33 pm - GLENDALE, AZ
Hello Lisa, Not necessarily. Being overweight causes a lot of different things. We do enlarge organs and this doesnt mean that it is as large as the person weighs. It just means that with the extra fluid and fat we store it is helpful to the surgeon when these organs are reduced. It is easier for the sugeon especially if you are doing any of these surgeries laproscopically. It helps them have better access and you will heal better. Being over weight enlarges and effects different people and organs differently. Some people thought they were just being told to lose weight because they had to get used to eating differently. But Its a combination of things. Thank goodness we have people that give feed back regarding this surgery that have made it easier for us to be more healthy.
asilroyan
on 5/9/07 12:56 pm
Thanks again Mitch.
Most Active