hi again :)

EmbodySuccess
on 5/3/07 3:03 am - Roswell, GA
Hi Melissa, Indeed, I join in with the applause on your achievement! Back pain: I discovered that when I am constipated, the "back up" seems to press on nerves around my lower back and I get spasms of pain that literally cause me to gasp. It's not a muscle injury because as soon as the spasm passes I am free to move about. As soon as I RESUME my daily dosage of Peri-colace (2 before breakfast with a glass of water & 1 before or after dinner with a glass of water) the spasms vanish. The first time I ever experienced the pain (10 weeks post-op) it was more toward my right side & since I was due to fly up to NYC in 3 days I called my bariatric surgeon & he told me to go back to his hospital (admit thru the ER) and have them do a work up for him. We assumed it was my gallbladder (though it hadn't given signs of being a problem). Did the barium swallow and was surprised when the ER doc informed me (& showed the films) that I was constitpated, gave me a mega dose of stool softener & counseled me to take the Pericolace for the rest of my life, as this tendency is common among RNY's and, if allowed to get severe, can prove FATAL! Exercise: Part of the key to overcoming our pattern of self-sabotage & yoyo dieting is to learn to feel safe, happy and energized at the conscious experience of BEING in a body. I coach my clients to think in terms of vigorous physical activity that gives you an immediate sense of satisfaction and gratitude toward your physical body. We have lived all our lives "up in our heads" and have done the best we can to ignore our bodies which is why photos of ourselves usually shock us. "Am I really that big?" Suggestion: Choose physical activities that make you sweat, get your heart up to an aerobic rate for 30 min. at least 5x daily. This doesn't require going to a gym. If you can put on a pair of sneakers and walk in your neighborhood or indoor mall - fine. If that sounds overwhelming, start with 15 min. daily at an aerobic level and increase by 5 min. each wee****il you're at :30. While you're exercising, stay focused on gratitude and satisfaction at the blessing of having a healthy body, enjoy your surroundings, breath deeply, open up as many of your senses as possible to enjoy yourself. All the best! Lauralyn http://embodysuccess.spaces.live.com
M. clarke
on 5/3/07 6:46 am
Lauralyn, Thank you for the applause, and great advise. That is good info on the constipation and back pain. I have tail bone problems, not so much lower back problems anymore. The lower back problems went away for the most part after i started losing weight. The tail bone unfortunately isn't a weight bearing issue, so it is not likely to go away. It makes exercise very difficult. Photo's still shock me. Even current ones. LOL. Then again I don't see much difference between my initial photo's and current ones. I don't think I will until I get closer to goal. Melissa
EmbodySuccess
on 5/4/07 2:36 am - Roswell, GA
I just left some comments on your photos at your profile. Lauralyn http://embodysuccess.spaces.live.com
M. clarke
on 5/4/07 2:01 pm
Awe thank you Lauralyn!! You are super sweet.
M. clarke
on 5/4/07 2:30 pm
Lauralyn, Oh my gosh. What beautiful comments. Thank you so much for those incredible well thought out and kind words of inspiration. I am so touched. Thank you. Melissa
EmbodySuccess
on 5/5/07 9:58 am - Roswell, GA
You earned them, my dear! I encourage my WLS coaching clients to not only have snapshots taken once a week during the first 6 months; but, also 1) If film-based, get the roll developed at least every month, and who cares if you don't use up every dang shot on the roll, you only pay for what they print - or develope a photographer's eye and take photos of things that interest you; 2) If digital, make sure to download the shots into your computer or onto your CD storage so that 3) YOU ACTUALLY LOOK AT THEM every week!! Get into the habit of looking at photos of yourself and, after about two months, you'll notice a marked reduction in both anxiety and dissociation at what you see. This is a great development as it is the anxiety around the reality of being "embodied" that causes us to sabotage our weight loss programs. This is an important distinction: You are NOT looking at your photos weekly to see if you can calculate and judge how much weight you've lost in 7 days! that feeds the obsessive-compulsive need to jump on the scale AT LEAST once a day that is the hallmark of yoyo dieters. You ARE learning to simply look at yourself without judgement but, rather, with compassion and encouragement All the best, Lauralyn http://embodysuccess.spaces.live.com
M. clarke
on 5/6/07 6:21 am
Lauralyn, As always you offer such wonderful suggestions and motivation techniques. I will keep that digital camera out and start sticking some photo's around! Thank you!
EmbodySuccess
on 5/6/07 1:06 pm - Roswell, GA
I'll be watching for them! Lauralyn http://embodysuccess.spaces.live.com
Most Active