Vitamins, vitamins, vitamins??????

AZdove
on 5/2/07 11:08 am - Tolleson, AZ
Okay I have to admit I did not stumble upon this fix for my multivitamins on my own....my grandkids did! If you look at the amount of each vitamin in the recommended (by your doctor) vitamin and then compare it to say a Flintstones Gummi Vitamin...you probably would have to chew 4 of the gummis a day (which is a normal adult dose). It really works. I do not even buy the name brand gummi bear vitamins...I buy the bottom of the line kids chewable gummi and the totals all add up. Sometimes the gummis have more A & D even. As far as liquid protein...I have to admit that I love the Designer Whey Chocolate powder mix. Sometimes I just mix it with water and crushed ice and blend...sometimes I mix it with soy milk...but it is yummy. It tastes to me like what a Wendy's Frosty used to taste like but it takes me about an hour to finish an 8 ounce glass when I have it really frozenated! The NuWhey tube things are good but I heard recently (I think from Joyce) that they were being discontinued. Good luck and stay in touch!
spunkycutechic
on 5/3/07 9:01 am - GLENDALE, AZ
I just finished my last appt with the dietician before surgery and she gave me samples of Optisource. A friend of mine who had GB told me about these before hand also. They are chewable and would have all the vitamins I need and the amount of calcium and iron that I need. You take 4 per day with food.
M. clarke
on 5/3/07 1:17 pm
Mitch are you having the RNY or the lap? I'm not sure what vitamins lap band take that is why I ask. I looked up those pills because they sounded great. I would be a little concerned about using those if you are RNY as they are calcium carbonate, and they also don't contain B1. My blood work just came back low on B1 because the B vitamin I was taking didn't contain B1. It can cause paralysis if you get to low on your B1. Also if you are RNY double check with your doctor on the type of calcium you should take. Most people I speak with are told to take Calcium Citrate as carbonate doesn't absorb as well after an RNY. Either way let us know if you go with them and your blood work comes back good. I would be interested in taking something easier like that if they work well.
Vicki A.
on 5/6/07 9:00 am
Thank you all so much for the info on the vitamins. I have a game plan now that includes liquid multis and so forth. They let me go home Friday and this is Sunday. I feel Ok but am still on the pain meds. Pretty sore but the only way to get rid of that is to keep moving and using the breathing machine. The thing that makes me crazy is the full feeling in my belly. Chet will drive me to the store Monday or Tues to get the correct (liquid) vitamins. He has turned out to be quite innovative. One of my meals was pureed corn beef and hard boiled egg, in a jigger that I had used for bourbon. (No more diet coke). I only eat a couple of baby spoonfulls, but it's pretty darn good. Jiggers are good because they are nice and colorful; when I bought them all those many years ago on vacations I'm sure it seemed like a good idea, but really, what do you do with them? I was working three days a week before the operation, trying to get in the retirement mode. However I'm not going back to work at all until I really feel like it which I'm sure won't be too long. Thanks again for all the good advice, and take care of yourselves. Vicki
Most Active