10,000 steps a day

tall_girl99_2000
on 5/1/07 8:07 am - Chandler, AZ
I was told to walk a minimum of 10,000 steps a day by Dr. Blackstone. Is anyone having a hard time reaching that goal or is it just me? Some people on this site have told me their doctors just told them 30 minute walks a day, and someone else told me that 10,000 equals out to 30 minutes but it takes me longer than that to walk that much. By the way I have to share...Yay!!!! I lost another 6 lbs. Now I'm up to 148lb loss. I'm so jazzed, I almost started dancing at the doctors office.
nicoleaz
on 5/1/07 10:29 am - Phoenix, AZ
I'm LUCKY if I can reach 7K in one day. I s'pose on a weekend when I'm not sitting at work all day I could bump it up a little. I think the key is to get at least 30 min of exercise in each day. 10K steps seems like lofty goals to me, but who knows...maybe some others on the board can share their successes with this!
(deactivated member)
on 5/1/07 11:48 am - AZ
I think it's more like 45 min walking. Good for you on the wt loss. I have 42 more lbs to goal, but I would like to go 10-15 lbs beyond that goal of 160...... Erin
dfavre
on 5/1/07 12:40 pm - Maricopa, AZ
I am definately a walker, at home and work. The most I have done is 8,000. However, I find that unless I push myself a bit..you know, when you get that tingling sensation in your head (am I weird?), or when you get an adrenalin (sp?) rush, that I don't lose much.
CK777
on 5/1/07 2:59 pm - Avondale, AZ
I make sure on most days that I get in my 10,000 steps a day. I faithfully wear a pedometer and at the end of the day I take a walk to get in what I still need. Weekends I go out walking early and get them all at once, it takes about 80 minutes. During the week I can walk out in the warehouse at my work as we are super slow and my boss doesn't mind as long as my work is done. But I also recently (about a month ago) starting working with a personal trainer with weights so the days I am doing that I sometimes get lax with my steps but for 5 out of 7 days of the week I make sure I get them logged in. If you break it into 3 mini sessions of walking it really isn't all that hard. Good Luck Cathy
Nicole W.
on 5/1/07 4:57 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
I do 45 minutes on the treadmill everyday and also walk alot around my building at work... I stopped wearing my pedometer but I know was getting in between 8,000 to 10,000 steps a day. Most magazines that I am reading now say 10,000 is reccommended. We did a fitness walk for our job and it was one mile... my friend and I did the walk in 20 minutes at a good walking speed and we got in about 3000 steps. Lately, I have been working 12-14hr days... sitting behind a desk with my head buried in work. I always make sure to get my rear up and moving and hit the gym after! Congrats on your awesome weight loss!!! ~Nicole
Most Active