Cardinal Sin-H2O w/Food

jenncarson
on 4/24/07 12:44 pm - AZ
Guys, I'm REALLY struggling with not drinking a little bit during meals. Drinking with food is like the Cardinal Sin for Banders. What the BEEP is my problem?! I always seem to break down and have a sip or two when I'm eating and then I want liquid before the 30 min window after eating. By the way, I have NO problem getting 8 glasses of water a day. I'm a guzzler!! Please, give me advice. What is my problem! -Jenn C in Chandler p.s. Nervous about my 1st Fill tomorrow.
Nicole W.
on 4/24/07 1:04 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Just Don't Do it! After your fill tomorrow you may physically may not be able to drink with meals! I physically can't. I makes me feel completely uncomfortable and usually just ruins the meal for me. It took that one negative experience to never do it again. Try eating your meal at the dinner table and just concentrating on your food, no TV, no reading, no internet, no distraction... enjoy your food and don't pour yourself a drink. I would often set a timer for my 30 minutes right when I took my last bite. Clean dishes, do some wash, clean the bathroom, fold some of those bigger size clothes... 30 minutes will pass real quick. Good Luck! Hope your fill goes well! ~Nicole
Candi Y.
on 4/24/07 1:04 pm - Cottonwood, AZ
jenn - Dont be nervous about tomm! Its a breeze, just had mine last week!! You'll be fine...Funny cause I was so worried about not being able to drink during eating and I've found it not to hard, but I also get gum right in my mouth after eating, need that clean mouth feeling...Good luck TOMM!!!!
jenncarson
on 4/24/07 2:26 pm - AZ
Candi and Nicole-- Those both have su*****redible ideas!!!!!!! I definitely will try to set a timer and try to eat without tv. I think I may even set my cell phone timer when I'm at work at lunch. I will also try gum. Both of your common sense ideas never occured to me. Also, I am so thankful that u let me know that the fill may restrict me from sipping during the no liquid eating window. You both always have the best ideas. I appreciate you so so much. I had the WORST day at work today. I work with emotionally disturbed kids and today I dealt with a situation that just made my heart heavy. Your encouragement means so much to me. You raised my spirits on a bad day : ) Jenn C in Chandler
dfavre
on 4/24/07 2:51 pm - Maricopa, AZ
FYI, they told us RNYers that we couldn't have gum. I guess because if you accidentaly swallow it (and it gets stuck), then you may need someone to fi**** out for you. It may be totally different for you banders though. I know what you mean abou****er. I have gotten out of the habit of timing myself, and am certain that I also am not waiting the full 30 min. The good news is that sometimes I am too full to even think about anything to drink. I hope all goes well tomorrow...keep us posted! BTW< what tatoo did you decide on? DAwn
carolem
on 4/25/07 7:09 am - Austin , TX
Another reason you don't want to drink during meals is, you'll push the food through the pouch and you'll find yourself hungry again very soon. I have to admit I've sometimes taken a small sip, but only if I absolutely had to. You want that food to slowly be digested, it will take some time, but you'll get use to it. There are people that wait even longer than 30 minutes after to help with the slow digestion issue. I would caution you against gum, it's not band friendly.......
jenncarson
on 4/25/07 12:05 pm - AZ
You all are such life savers. Awesome ideas. I need to do the timer and use sugar free mints or something for the want H20 right after eating. -Jenn C. in AZ p.s. I'm getting the tatoo below : ) http://www.tattoojohnny.com/tattoo-design-gallery.asp?k=&a=&c=color&s=small&r=12&m= It's a cat chasing a butterfly : )
Stephanie W.
on 4/25/07 1:07 pm - Peoria, AZ
Jenn, You will break the habit of drinking with meals soon enough. I'm on my 5th fill now. If I drink on top of my meals, I start foaming at the mouth. It's like pouring water into a clogged drain. I guess you could say I overflow. After a few fills, it can be painful to drink with meals. Also, not to be a downer, but don't expect too much from your first fill. It may take 3-5 before you start to feel anything. Stephanie
(deactivated member)
on 4/26/07 6:58 am - AZ
Jenn, being a drinker with my meals for as long as I can remember, it was mentally harder for me than giving up coke. I don't miss that at all. But I do check the time because sometimes I am so thirsty after I eat. But I do wait the 30 min, do the dishes, get on the pc, or give my son a bath...good luck Erin
jenniebr
on 4/26/07 9:47 am - queen creek, AZ
Hey Jenn! How did your fill go? I think your issue with not drinking is that you want to because you can't. I go out to eat too much and now I enjoy driving the wait staff crazy when they ask what I would like to drink. Nothing thanks, NOTHING are your sure, not even water? Nothing not even water, then they will come by several times, sure you don't wan****er? YES I AM SURE. My hubby just gets the water since he thinks its cruel to the waiter. I can't have the temptatin there or I will drink it. Well let me know about your fill... Jen
Most Active