Bypass vs. Band

Desertflower
on 4/26/07 1:36 pm - Mesa, AZ
Hi, I was going to do the Band at first, but I know how sneaky my "mind hunger" gets at times, and I was afraid I would outsmart the band. I also didn't want to have adjustments to expand the band. I attended a seminar with Dr. Blackstone and realized that the RNY procedure is the "gold standard" available to us. I wanted all the help I could get. Could I suggest a book for your to read? I loved the book "Exodus from Obesity" by Paula Peck. It helped me to decide what was best for me...and only YOU can choose. Your needs are different than mine. I have lived with obesity all my life...and I wanted a tool that will help me to be healthy for the REST of my life. Good luck and God bless. Robin
tanders6
on 4/26/07 1:46 pm - AZ
Thanks Robin. I will check out that book. I appreciate the tips and point of view. I am leaning that way now too, but I lean back sometimes as well. LOL.
Steve1
on 4/27/07 1:48 pm - Round Rock, TX
I am a bandit. I have lost ~10 lbs/month since surgery. I can understand just where your quandry lies. In this instance it is my belief that one procedure over another is a matter of personnal choice. Educating yourself on the possible benefits of each is a great way to make an informed decision. The data I saw said that there was very little difference as far as results were concerned over time. ( If you keep to the regimine) As far as appointments for maintenance is concerned, most of us are seeing our doctors regularly as a follow up to the procedure. Whether its a "well baby check" or adding or taking away from a fill we are still there. Remember that the decision you make is the best one that fits your intended lifestyle. The final piece of information that helped me make a decision was -- Would I want a change in my plumbing or would I want to add an appliance that can be changed to help me meet my goals. For me the informed choice is obvious. But each of us have come to the same fork in the road.
tanders6
on 5/1/07 10:08 am - AZ
Thanks Steven, I really appreciate the feedback. That's a good way to look at it.
jenniebr
on 4/30/07 6:40 am - queen creek, AZ
Hey Tim, I read the entire thread and had to offer my 2 cents. Of course everone, including me, thinks their choice was the best. It was for ME. You are you. Ultimately all WLS is only as effective as YOU make it. You can eat or drink around either surgery. You have to decide which option better suits your needs. I can offer my experience with the band. I lost the first 100 pounds in about 6 months. Most people do not fair that well as weightloss is individual. You will have to learn how to eat well for life. Either way you go, you need to learn to eat well. I would like to clarify a few things about the band. I have had my band just over 16 months, I have had 4 fills and 1 slight unfill. The port is far under the skin and I can not see it, I can feel it, it does not bother me or cause me any discomfort. Same with my hubby, he too has a band. I saw my doctor 2 weeks post, 6 weeks post (1st fill) 3 months, 6 months and now every year (twice this year for an unfill). Far less than seeing my primary care before my surgery. I saw my PCP 1 time in 2006. I have lost 117 pounds and been keeping it off for about 9 months. It is work and I find it easier everyday. Its just a way of life now. You really need to sit down with yourself and "talk" about it. It is a life altering decision that needs plenty of thought. Both surgeries have restrictions, you have to choose what works for YOU. This was what I did when weighing my options (lapband wasnt covered when I started) Top 3 reasons for my choice Adjustable, reversible, fewer side effects. Top 3 against the band slower weightloss (not in my case but for most) insurance didnt cover (changed before my surgery) I never got to the 3rd, I thought of the needles with the fills but I injected insulin 3 times aday so that was not a huge con for me. Top 3 for the RNY Faster weightloss (great for higher BMI) covered by insurance knew it worked for family members Top 3 against RNY Not reversible Not adjustable possible side-effects strictures, hairloss, dumping, mal-nutrition (not everone gets any of these but just the thought was enough to rule it out.) Just my thoughts on the subject. Good luck! Jen
tanders6
on 5/1/07 10:09 am - AZ
Thanks Jen, Your detailed response was great. I really appreciate hearing from someone who is more than a year out.
Most Active