Bypass vs. Band

tanders6
on 4/24/07 5:05 am - AZ
My band surgery is scheduled for this fall, but now I am having 2nd thoughts about it and wonder if bypass would be better. It seems like the bypass folks have better long-term results. Any comments?
carolem
on 4/24/07 7:34 am - Austin , TX
You might want to visit the lap band forum to get some better information about lap-band. Lap band and bypass long term have about the same results, the difference is in the ability to have adjustments (fills) to the band to increase restriction if you should start to gain any weight after you've reached your goal. For me and my husband, we didn't want anything too invasive. We were willing to loose the weight slower and not risk any of the complications that can occur with rapid weight loss. Not everyone has complications with rapid weight loss, we just didn't think for us, being older, that would be such a good idea. You have to make your own decision of course, but get all the information you can. The lap-band forum is a good place to start. Good luck.
tanders6
on 4/24/07 9:17 am - AZ
Thanks, it sounds like the band is working well for you both. I am a fence sitter now.
spunkycutechic
on 4/24/07 9:07 am - GLENDALE, AZ
Hello Tim, I originally wanted to do the lap band because it was less invasive. I decided to do the gastric bypass instead because of my lifestyle. I didnt want to have to wait or mess with the fills all the time. And I felt I would get more of the result I wanted from gastric long term. Each person is different, its a personal choice. Good luck, Mitch
tanders6
on 4/24/07 9:24 am - AZ
Thanks Mitch. I was all set for the band, but I almost felt like one of the doctors was encouraging me to consider bypass. She couldn't come right out and say it, but I picked up that suggestion. I am about 110 pounds over ideal. I would be disappointed if the band didn't work as well and I could have done the bypass. More research to do on my part.
Nicole W.
on 4/24/07 1:16 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi Tim, I went to my seminar with Dr. Blackstone wanting to have the LapBand done... however after the seminar and my initial consult I decided on RNY. I knew that I would be able to find a work around to the LapBand and still eat all the crappy foods I was eating prior to surgery. So I decided on RNY. I am also very afraid of needles and did not want to be poked to have a fill done (may seem silly but it's just me and it grosses me out). Also the idea of having the port attached under my skin didnt thrill me either. After losing the weight I did not want to feel or see the port... again grosses me out. Another was the chances of slippage, port infection, some other complications made me think about RNY more and more. After asking tons and tons of questions at my intial consult, I felt bypass was for me. I have been fortunate to have very minor complications that were easily fixable (strictures) and been feeling great. The surgery really changed my life and I am enjoying living the healthy life of eating right and exercising. One thing... if you are having insurance cover your surgery you may want to check with your surgeon and make sure you can get approved for gastric bypass since it is more money and would hate for you to go thru and insurance nightmare. But if you are paying yourself, then don't worry Good Luck with your decision! ~Nicole
tanders6
on 4/24/07 2:38 pm - AZ
Thanks Nicole. How late can I change my mind? I am scheduled for the band in Sep.
Nicole W.
on 4/25/07 2:09 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Tim, Definately talk to your surgeon's office... it might be a scheduling thing for them. I know that bypass does take a little bit longer than lapband to complete and your hospital stay is a longer. Also your pre-op and post-op education, if your surgeon has one may be different. There are some good books out there... I reccommend "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" it has some great info in there! Good Luck with your Decision! ~nicole
Chaplain
on 4/26/07 4:18 am - Panama City, FL
I had the gastric bypass on February 24, 2006 and have lost a total of 170 pounds. I looked into the lapband, but my insurance would not cover it. I am so glad they would not cover it. For me it was the best decision I made. If you have doubts about it then I would speak with your doctor and weigh out the pros and cons of each. It is never too late to be informed about such a life changing event in your life.
tanders6
on 4/26/07 4:39 am - AZ
Thanks William. I was just reading your profile when you replied. I wonder if bypass cuts the brain hormones that crave food more than banding. I have heard people say that they felt the dr. operated on their brains instead of their stomachs after bypass. Great job on your weight loss.
Most Active