Phoenix Memorial Hospital

Vicki A.
on 4/23/07 1:45 pm
Has anyone experience with Phoenix Memorial? My surgery is scheduled for Wed. May 2. I've lived in Phoenix most of my life and I don't think I would pick this particular hospital if I had a choice. Thanks
cj29
on 4/23/07 4:28 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Vicki -- First of all -- Dr Simon is the BEST WLS surgeon in the valley. I am one of his patients and am 8 months PO. Pls review my profile if you want... With PMH, I was nervous due to the hospital being so old and downtown, etc... Pls remember though with Dr Simon, you are in EXCELLENT hands. However; PMH - I did not care to much for the nursing staff. I am greatful I had my hubby there every night to be with me, he maked sure I got walked every hour and to take extra care of me since I am a big baby. I scored the hospital and provided feedback to Dr S staff, so it may be even better now. Hopefully... I hope I helped on that one. I would recommend a friend or loved one to stay with you if at all possible. The overall experience looking back, wasn't bad at all. The pain -- I do not remember any pain since Dr S places the additional pain pack in the wound areas that goes around your neck and the morphine pain pump. Would I do it again and through PMH, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me know if you have any other questions, Carrie
jenncarson
on 4/24/07 12:40 pm - AZ
Don't forget that we all think we have the WLS best surgeon. I adore my surgeon, Dr. DeBarros at Tempe St. Luke's but Dr. Simon seems awesome-- highly recommended. It is awesome that we have three or four excellent facilities in our area with 5 or 6 excellent surgeons in our area. -Jenn C in Chandler
Vicki A.
on 4/24/07 1:16 pm
Carrie, thanks so much. That helps. I too am lucky to have my sweetie helping me. I know the nurses are busy, and I'm an aquarius, so I'd just as soon be left alone. Are the rooms private or semi? Thanks again Vicki
cj29
on 4/24/07 1:23 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Your truly welcome! The rooms was semi, however, they do not place a second patient in the room, so its private. Best of luck to you, let me know if you need an angel or have any other questions. Carrie
vquigley
on 4/24/07 1:51 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi, Vicki, I too had similar concerns to yours about having surgery at PMH. Unfortunately, I didn't really have a choice because that is where my insurance was good. But . . . one thing that I did do and highly recommend is to call PMH and ask them to give you a tour of the facilities. I felt much better after I took the tour, met the staff and realized that it wasn't the same hospital I remember growing up. Before I had surgery I went to visit a friend at Good Sam (when I weighed my heaviest in July) and it 'bout wore me out just walking the halls of Good Sam. When I had surgery at PMH, I told my family that they could thank me for having surgery at PMH because it is a much smaller hospital and they didn't have to walk as far to see me. I really did not have any issues with my care, the first day was miserable but I expected that. Do write out a list of the reasons why you want to have surgery (healthier lifestyle, being able to fit in an airplane seat, going to Disneyland, etc., etc. I remember asking my family the day of surgery when I was starting to wake up, "tell me why I wanted this done again?" And they were able to remind me of those reasons I had written down. I think the first day was the worst and it only got better after that. Good luck to you! Virginia
Vicki A.
on 4/24/07 4:45 pm
Thanks guys for all of your input. My surgery is a week away and I guess I'm just getting a little nervous/excited/nurotic (did I spell that right?), anyway you get the idea. I have utmost confidence in Dr. Simon, and I know all the hard work is definitely worth it. Just a mention: My 38 year old daughter had the surgery end of 2004. (Dr. Blackstone) Without going into details, just let me say her marriage ended, and her life has been turned upsidedown. I don't blame the surgery, just that it is an emotional roller coaster and one must be aware. I have a theory that nothing can destroy a healthy marriage, but that too is a lot of hard work. Thanks again! Vicki
cj29
on 4/25/07 4:55 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Vicki -- You're right about nothing can destroy a healthy marriage. I have been married for 7 years and since my surgery -- My marriage has only gotten better! I feel and look great and I would do this all over again in a heart beat! If you need an "Angel" Virginia or myself are great support -- if you need us, we will be there. Please take care and let me know if you need anything or have any additional questions. I will be praying for you! Wishing you a speedy recovery and eventless surgery next week. Carrie
Vicki A.
on 4/26/07 3:46 am
Carrie, Thanks so much. I'll take all the prayers I can get. I've always had an angel on my shoulder, but she probably has not had first-person experience with this operation, so I'll be in touch with you!! We are going to the nutrition class today and tomorrow is the endiscopy. Nails and pedi tonight and hair Saturday. Must have ALL the maintenance taken care of you know. We are working on 26 years. How lucky are we to have found our soulmates? (Maybe luck wasn't all it took.) Take care and again, thanks. Vicki
Most Active