Stress and Snacking?

jenncarson
on 4/23/07 10:23 am - AZ
Hi AZ Buds- This last week, I noticed spikes in behavior with the kids that I service. Many of the kids were watching Virginia Tech footage 24/7 on the tv and the internet. 8 yrs ago at Columbine the kids didn't have camera phones to tape the actually shootings. I can't believe many of our teens watched the actual shootings on the internet. Did any of you or your kids experience any mild transference stress or traces of media anxiety? Any increase in stress eating or snacking? My inquiring mind wants to know! Jenn C.- Child and Adolescent Counselor in Chandler p.s. I thought I shared an editorial that I wrote that was in the Arizona Republic on Saturday The 'Why' of Va. Tech Killings Will go Unanswered by Jenn Carson, Child and Adolecent Counselor in Chandler, AZ Arizona Republic, Apr. 21, 2007 Like Cho Seung Hui, my father was a well-educated young man from a nice family when he went on a killing spree in the early 1980s. I was 9 years old when my father and stepmother, Michael Bear and Suzan Carson, were suspected of committing 12 homicides. When they confessed to three of these murders and were given life sentences, I was left with one question that would haunt me for decades: "Why?" When we are faced with senseless violence like the mass homicides at Virginia Tech or Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., we are left with the same heavy question: "Why?" What I have learned in 25 years since homicide changed my life forever is that senseless violence is just that - senseless. We can never find reason or understanding in acts of great evil like spree killings and serial homicides. The question of "how" and "where" in the days to come will bring many productive answers that will increase campus security measures. The question of "who" will bring compassion and remembrance to the victims' families and will bring us a little more understanding about the shooter's pathology. Yet, I challenge us all to accept that the question of "why" will thankfully remain unanswered, and rightfully so. There will never be any justifiable reasons brought forth for the shootings at Virginia Tech. These 33 students and professors were taken in vain, but they will not be forgotten.
TMAZgal
on 4/23/07 10:57 am - Phoenix, AZ
Wow, that is the best column I've seen on this incident. I'm sorry you had to gain such wisdom in such a terrible way but you are a brilliant writer. Thank you, Toni
JRinAZ
on 4/23/07 12:02 pm - Layton, UT
Jenn, Your depth amazes me. I LOVE LOvE LOVE your writing! Hugggzzz to you for so much but especially on becoming an incredible person in spite of a disfunctional history! And look at you.....giving back at so many levels! You rock! Joyce P.S. I went through a bag of twizzlers while watching all the news reports! Whew! I've been cleansing myself by doing protein drinks all day!
Most Active